[BCFSN] New resource for learning about sustainable food systems

Pamela Zevit adamah at telus.net
Tue May 15 14:10:29 EDT 2018

>From the Food Climate Research Network  - FCRN Environmental Change Institute, University of Oxford. Contact information at end.

From: Samuel Lee-Gammage
Sent: May-15-18 5:29 AM
Subject: New resource for learning about sustainable food systems

My name is Samuel Lee-Gammage and I'm writing to you all today to share Foodsource <https://foodsource.org.uk/> : a project of the Food Climate Research Network <https://fcrn.org.uk/>  supported by the Daniel and Nina Carasso Foundation <https://fondationcarasso.org/en> , which includes a website and collection of evidence-based resources, developed to help support greater literacy of sustainable food systems issues and ideas, and how they all interconnect.

Currently, it consists of 11 Chapters <https://foodsource.org.uk/chapters>  that provide overviews of wider food systems issues, and a series of Building Blocks <https://foodsource.org.uk/building-blocks> , which provide concise explanations of key ideas and concepts. It also has a glossary <https://foodsource.org.uk/glossary>  and an open source image library <https://www.flickr.com/photos/151356024@N07/sets/72157681689267104>  of figures created and redrawn by the FCRN, available for for anyone to use.

One of our most recent additions is a new chapter <https://foodsource.org.uk/chapters/11-what-connection-between-infectious-diseases-humans-and-livestock>  on the connection between infectious diseases in humans and livestock, which includes the role of livestock as a driver of antibiotic resistance. We have also recently produced a new building block <https://foodsource.org.uk/building-blocks/what-food-security>  that on the concept of food security.

This week we have launched a set of new high-quality PDF versions <https://foodsource.org.uk/chapters>  of all of our chapters so that people can download them, share them, and read them quickly offline. We hope that this will make them more versatile and easy to use. You can download these by clicking the links below.

*	    An overview of food system challenges <https://foodsource.org.uk/sites/default/files/chapters/pdfs/foodsource_chapter_1.pdf>
*	    Environmental impacts of food: an introduction to LCA <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=ad231e3554&e=18962f8440>
*	    Food systems and greenhouse gas emissions <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=6cde5497e3&e=18962f8440>
*	    How can we reduce food-related greenhouse gas emissions? <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=b0f18cc312&e=18962f8440>
*	    Food systems and contributions to other environmental problems <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=5a7ce8d6ae&e=18962f8440>
*	    Impacts of climatic and environmental change on food systems <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=ecf93890dc&e=18962f8440>
*	    How are food systems, diets, and health connected? <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=91718b370b&e=18962f8440>
*	    Focus: the difficult livestock issue <https://foodsource.org.uk/sites/default/files/chapters/pdfs/foodsource_chapter_8.pdf>
*	    What is a healthy sustainable eating pattern? <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=024ba6a3d1&e=18962f8440>
*	    What can be done to shift eating patterns in healthier, more sustainable directions? <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=e75154f792&e=18962f8440>
*	    What is the connection between infectious diseases in humans and livestock? <https://fcrn.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=85afd3b5aa2e515e25c3e7b9d&id=54fbf6d614&e=18962f8440>

We hope, over time, to expand what Foodsource has to offer to become a truly comprehensive and independent resource for learning on food system sustainability issues and ideas, which can help to build foundations of common understanding – across disciplines, sectors, and cultures. To this end, we are continuously working to enhance the website, produce new and better resources, and aggregate the best of what is already available to make it easier for people to discover.

If you think you could help or would like collaborate towards achieving this vision, in ways big or small, please get in touch.

Many thanks,

Samuel

--

Samuel Lee-Gammage

Research and Communications Officer

Join our network:  <https://fcrn.org.uk/user/register> www.fcrn.org.uk/user/register

Join the conversation on:  <https://twitter.com/FCRNetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor> Twitter, <https://twitter.com/FCRNetwork?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>   <https://www.facebook.com/fcrnetwork/> Facebook and  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/fcrn---food-climate-research-network/> LinkedIn

Contact:  <mailto:samleegammage at fcrn.org.uk> samleegammage at fcrn.org.uk

Skype: samuelleegammage