[BCFSN] National Food Policy consultations begin!

Abra Brynne abra at bcfsn.org
Tue Jun 6 16:26:31 EDT 2017

Hello all,
the federal government is moving forward on a plan to develop a national
food policy. I know that many British Columbians have put a lot of thought
into what we want our food systems to look like. I encourage everyone to
take the time to participate in this consultation by completing the survey
linked in the news release below. And if the questions do not work for your
input, be creative!

in good food - for all,
Abra

Abra Brynne
Director, Engagement & Policy
BC Food Systems Network
abra at bcfsn.org
Ph: 250.352.5342 // mobile: 250.777.2480
Skype: abra.brynne
www.bcfsn.org

Please support our work <http://bcfsn.org/donate/>.

"Rather than concentrating on what sort of food is healthy for the
individual person, we must think about what kind of production system is
healthy for the globe. Acting in the context of this vision of a different
kind of food system, we will gain the freedom - and the power - to force
change for some measure of justice in this one." Cathleen Kneen, 1987

*Canadians* *asked what* *food issues matter to them with launch of **A
Food Policy for Canada **consultations*
News Release

*From Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
<https://www.canada.ca/en/agriculture-agri-food.html> *

*Government of Canada launches online survey to support the development of
a food policy*

May 29, 2017 – Toronto, Ontario – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada

Food matters. Canadians make choices every day about food that directly
impacts their health, environment, and communities. The Government of
Canada is committed to helping put more affordable, safe, healthy, food on
tables across the country, while protecting the environment.

Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister, Lawrence MacAulay, announced today that
the Government of Canada is launching consultations to support the
development of *A Food Policy for Canada*. An online survey
<http://www.canada.ca/food-policy> is now open at www.canada.ca/food-policy
and Canadians are encouraged to share their input to help shape a food
policy that will cover the entire food system, from farm to fork. Canadians
can share their views on four major themes:

   - increasing access to affordable food;
   - improving health and food safety;
   - conserving our soil, water, and air; and
   - growing more high-quality food.

*A Food Policy for Canada* will be the first-of-its-kind for the Government
of Canada, and is a new step in the government’s mandate to taking a
collaborative and broad-based approach to addressing food-related issues in
Canada.

The online consultation is the first of a number of engagement activities
planned with a wide range of participants to inform the development of a
food policy. Feedback from the consultations will provide the federal
government with a better understanding of Canadians’ priorities when it
comes to food-related issues. The results will help inform key elements of
a food policy, including a long-term vision and identifying actions to take
in the near term.
Quotes

*"*Food plays a critical role in the health and well-being of Canadians,
while also having a direct impact on our environment, economy, and
communities. Developing this food policy is an exciting opportunity for
Canadians to have their say about how government can help address those
opportunities and challenges that exist in our food system."

- Lawrence MacAulay, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
Quick Facts

·         A food policy is a way to address issues related to the
production, processing, distribution, and consumption of food.

·         In addition to the online consultations, the Government of Canada
will be holding broad consultations through events taking place throughout
the coming months.

·         A wide range of stakeholders will be invited to Ottawa for *A
Food Policy for Canada* Summit, to take place June 22 - 23, 2017. The
Summit is designed to provide a space for stakeholders, experts, and key
policy makers to share views on the development of *A Food Policy for
Canada.*
Associated Links

   - A Food Policy for Canada
   <https://www.canada.ca/en/campaign/food-policy.html>