[BCFSN] Food Policy Article Series: Exploring Stories of Local Government Food Systems Planning and Policy Innovation

Kimberley Hodgson kim at chplaces.com
Tue Jan 26 14:53:15 EST 2016

Hi All,
It has recently been brought to my attention that Roundup has been sprayed
on my Secwepemc home land at Neskonlith reserve near Chase, BC. Our land
has been classified as some of the most superior soil to anywhere in North
America. In addition to having rich soil on the benchland of the South
Thompson River we have a beautiful east west orientation in the valley
where Elk (one of our most prized sources of protein) used to roam freely.

There is a rich history of agriculture in our community even despite the
ways that agriarianism was used to establish legal land and water rights
that dispossessed us. With that in mind, we do not currently participate in
mainstream agriculture on a large scale for the various reasons political
and socio-economic reasons, but some landholders have recently began
working with outside consultants who are pushing a conventional model of
agriculture that runs counter to the more sustainable path we are charting
in the BC Food Systems Network and abroad.

We have managed to keep the land clean and free from the use of chemicals
and pesticides, and the richness and the beauty of the land in the valley
lies close to my heart. That is why I am so sad to hear there was recently
Roundup sprayed on some of the fields on our reserve, so I am reaching out
to see if you all could share any information that would help us build a
response to the band council in a peoples assembly.

I realize that many municipalities around BC have banned GMO's and am
interested in seeing the policies or resolutions to this effect, which
might help us draft our own statement about Roundup as it relates to GMO's.
Please share if you know of any.

Also, I would really appreciate receiving any fact sheets on the adverse
affects of GMO's and Round up, terminator technology would be very much
appreciated.

Thank you,

Dawn Morrison,

BC Food Systems Network
Working Group on Indigenous Food Sovereignty
C/O 555 East 55th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C, V5X 1N6
Mobile: 778.879.5106
Email: dmo6842 at gmail.com