[BCFSN] ALR removal for shopping mall in Sydney

Jan Steinman Jan at EcoReality.org
Wed Jan 20 12:51:25 EST 2016

On 2016-01-20, at 09:00, food-request at bcfsn.org wrote:

> Maybe there can be a charge placed on agricultural land re-allocation

Careful! You’re drinking the “economic remedy” KoolAid.

Once you’ve swallowed the lie that all things can be reduced to a dollar amount, you’ve already lost the battle. Some things are beyond monetary value.

You’re on a spacecraft, orbiting Earth. You have ten minutes of air left. The spacecraft is stuffed with gold, diamonds and other gemstones, negotiable securities, currency in large bills of all nations, etc.

How much money will you have to spend to gain an additional minute of air?

You’re on a spacecraft, orbiting the Sun. You have perhaps twenty years of natural resources left. The spacecraft is full of negotiable securities, all the money in the world (literally!), and millions of spinning disks, each containing billions of magnetized dots, representing all the money in the world (literally!).

How much money will you need to spend to gain an additional ten years of resources?

That “slippery slope” of economics leads economists to declare, upon some fatal disaster, to decide that a corporate CEO’s life will cost the insurance company more than the life of a ditch digger.

We gotta think beyond money, or we’re all toast.

Jan