[BCFSN] Two job postings for positions with BC Food Systems Network

Brent Mansfield director at bcfsn.org
Wed May 27 18:57:22 EDT 2015

FYI

Director Harold Steves presented the attached article on-table at last week's Regional Planning Committee meeting. This company is promoting the removal of agricultural land for conversion to residential (in Surrey, Langley, Richmond, etc) suggesting investors can buy large land parcels for much less than residential lots and build a "luxurious house with beautiful woods surrounding it and enjoy relaxing life away from the city".

I posted this piece on FB as well as a link <http://www.newcoast.ca/>  to the company’s website and sent them the following message to them via their contact page:

“I recently read post by one of your realtors Tracy Niu advocating for investors to focus on purchasing agricultural lands: "Agricultural Land Possesses Great Potential in Real Estate Investment". I am appalled that your company and realtors are actively promoting the removal of agricultural land for conversion to residential suggesting investors can buy large land parcels for much less than residential lots and build a "luxurious house with beautiful woods surrounding it and enjoy relaxing life away from the city".

“BC's agriculture lands are some of the best in the world and the south coast is no exception. Are you unaware what is happening in California and other areas? We have become overly dependent on  food imports from sources that will be unlikely to support us. Furthermore agricultural lands like those on BC's coast also provides an important role in protecting habitat for regionally and internationally important species as well as a means to sequester and store carbon. Our food lands ensure that we have a long-term, viable means of producing food in the face of global changes due to climate change and population growth pressures.”

“The reason agricultural lands are cheaper is because their true intrinsic value has yet to be recognized by outdated economic systems – and many decision makers. Recommending your clients play this advantage for personal and financial profit when it contributes to the loss of vulnerable, environmentally sensitive and critically important lands is reprehensible. As a profession how is this ethically defensible? How do you justify serving the public interests or the people and communities of this province by doing this?”

Pamela Zevit

Coquitlam BC

  _____

No virus found in this message.