[BCFSN] Atlantic Region organic farming conference

Abra Brynne abra at peelingtheonion.ca
Thu Sep 25 12:46:08 EDT 2014

Can you help with spreading the work on this and help our dear wee bees?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/canadian-beekeepers-sue-bayer-and-syngenta-over-neonicotinoid-pesticides-1.2754441

https://action.sumofus.org/a/ontario_beekeepers/?akid=7136.941286.xtASB2&ask=25&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=1

*Beekeepers in Canada's biggest province have had enough of Bayer and
Syngenta’s bee killing pesticides, and they’re on the cusp of getting them
banned once and for all.* They've launched a class-action lawsuit, and if
they win, it could cause echoes around the world.

Scientists and beekeepers have been warning about mass bee die-offs for
years -- but the pesticide industry has resisted all pressure to remove
them from store shelves on their own. If beekeepers are successful with the
ban in Canada, it could trigger a huge domino effect towards a global ban
on these bee killers.

*You better believe pesticide giants Bayer and Syngenta aren’t going to
take this lying down*. They’ll be throwing the kitchen sink at Ontario’s
legislators to make sure they can keep selling their colony-destroying
neonictinoid pesticides.

*Will you support the beekeepers’ fight and keep fighting to get bee
killing pesticides banned?*

*Study after study shows what beekeepers already know: Right around the
world, bees are dying off and the situation seems to be getting worse.*
“Neonic” pesticides manufactured by Bayer, Syngenta, and others are
undoubtedly the culprit. But to get them banned, we're going up against two
companies prepared to spend millions to get their way.

*Already, the SumOfUs campaign to save the bees in causing huge waves.*
Earlier this month, a landmark new study from SumOfUs, Friends of the Earth
and our allies found that half of all "bee friendly" garden plants sold by
big gardening stores come pre-treated with bee-killing pesticides. In
response, huge retailer Home Depot pledged to label all products containing
these pesticides this year, and figure out how it can eliminate them for
good -- not enough, but a start.

Our activist beekeepers and campaigners have spoken out at the annual
shareholder meetings of Lowe's and Bayer, talking directly to CEOs and
shareholders about the need to act, and keeping up the pressure. And our
lawyers are still working to defend Europe's ban on some of these poisons
in the courts in the face of Bayer's legal challenge.

But government action has stalled in the face of aggressive action from
pesticide companies. That's why it's so important that we fight alongside
beekeepers in Canada -- it could kick start a push to regulate these
dangerous pesticides globally. *Will you support Ontario’s beekeepers in
their fight?*