[BCFSN] Honouring Dr. Lorna Medd

JK Bays joanne.k.bays at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 12:53:07 EST 2022

Hello All

I am reposting a note on my FB page for those of you who know the wonderful
Dr. Lorna Medd:

*Today I want to shine the light on Dr. Lorna Medd, a woman who occupies a
GIANT space in my heart. Brilliant, witty, and visionary, Lorna has always
been ahead of the curve when it comes to strategizing and mobilizing action
to preserve and promote the health of the planet (and all the creatures
that inhabit it). *
*Lorna sought me out as soon as I moved to Northern BC. This was a time in
my life when I was totally on fire about food injustice and I was certain
solutions lie in mobilizing communities towards food sovereignty. I had
been a busy bee in the South building networks and creating programs to
support sustainable local food systems.  *

*So unpretentious and casual was her demeanour on the phone as she coaxed
me to travel 2.5 hours to meet her, that I had no idea I was speaking to
the Medical Health Officer who was at the helm of Northern Health's ship.*

*Lorna's eyes lit up as I walked into her office. And the first thing she
said as she held out her hand was “I have been hearing about you and
reading about you, Joanne. We need you in the North! What can I do to keep
you here?”*
*I owe a lot to Lorna. And I know I am not the only one. Like a magnet, she
had a habit of drawing young passionate change-makers to her side,
listening intently to their dreams, and finding ways to help bring their
ideas - small or epic - to fruition. *
*I am organizing a way to honour Lorna in her golden years. If this
extraordinary woman has touched your life, please share your story here.*
*Or if you would like to participate in a zoom call to share stories -
please msg me.*

Joanne Bays (nee Houghton)
Director Emeritus
Farm to Cafeteria Canada