[BCFSN] Some blog thoughts about food insecurity during COVID

Devon Cooke devon at thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Sun Aug 2 16:00:47 EDT 2020

Working on my documentary has had paying a lot of attention to food
security during COVID.

Food security has been a big worry during COVID-19 — one that will only
become bigger as government support runs out and struggling businesses
start to go under. Canadian statistics suggest that households
experiencing food insecurity has spiked by about 50%
<https://mailer.thehandsthatfeedus.ca/lists/lt.php?tid=LEVaUQcGVgEJUx5UBV8KSVAHDAYfAABXARUFAANVVAdUAAtXAwZJBllTUgUAAVdJVlZRAx9VVVAHFVgGAlFPAwIOWFBRAwwGWlEKSwJYUQJUUVAPH1JdBAAVVVJSVk8ABghdS1IFAVQNVgUOWQFUUw>,
but that's nothing compared to stories from the USA, where food banks
have had lines for hours, and more than a third of New Yorkers reported
skipping meals or reducing portions
<https://mailer.thehandsthatfeedus.ca/lists/lt.php?tid=LEUPXwYIVwgNBR4DBwhRSVBRUwAfWQdQVBUAVAcHBFpUWgpfBwZJBllTUgUAAVdJVlZRAx9VVVAHFVgGAlFPAwIOWFBRAwwGWlEKSwJYUQJUUVAPH1JdBAAVVVJSVk8ABghdS1IFAVQNVgUOWQFUUw>.

It has become de rigueur to describe food insecurity as an "income
problem".  I like that this attitude takes the focus off farmers.  The
idea that food needs to be cheap so that everyone can eat has not been
good for farmers.  To some extent, our recent food policy could be
described as "solving poverty by making farmers poorer".  But, thinking
of food security as a subset of poverty not only takes the focus off
farmers, it also takes the focus off food entirely, and I think that's a
mistake.

My latest blog post explores this idea more thoroughly: Why food
security isn't a subset of poverty
<https://mailer.thehandsthatfeedus.ca/lists/lt.php?tid=LEVaUApVAgheVh4HUgELSVADU1cfWFUGBxVUUVQBBFRSXA4FCwRJBllTUgUAAVdJVlZRAx9VVVAHFVgGAlFPAwIOWFBRAwwGWlEKSwJYUQJUUVAPH1JdBAAVVVJSVk8ABghdS1IFAVQNVgUOWQFUUw>.

All the best,

Devon Cooke
The Hands that Feed Us
www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca