[BCFSN] Farmers or Community Partners interested in taking part in Emergency Preparedness project

Paige Inglis paigeinglis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 12:24:03 EDT 2019

Hi there folks,

I write first with gratitude for you taking the time to read this.

I'm new to Vancouver, but some of you may know me from my work as the
Education Program Coordinator at Richmond Food Security Society. In my free
time, I'm apart of a 30 under 30 pop-up innovation lab run by Youthful
Cities <https://www.youthfulcities.com/fcb-vancouver> (Future City Builders
Vancouver) and Evergreen <https://www.evergreen.ca/>. Our project this year
is on Emergency Preparedness in Vancouver.

Naturally, food is a primary concern in the event of a natural disaster.
Whether we're talking about 'The Big One
<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one>', sea
level rise, or shorter term stresses like floods and forest fires. In
particular, Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland's regional food system
is highly vulnerable to climate change-induced natural disasters.

Our team, Prepare your Palate, has the goal to raise awareness of these
shocks and stresses, and help prepare our community by bringing EP to the
table. How do you get people to talk about something they don't like to
talk about? You guessed it, FOOD!

That's why our project is trying to engage food producers in and around
Metro Vancouver to promote EP in any capacity, that could be: naming a
feature menu item after a natural disaster and providing some information,
having a special brew (beer, kombucha, etc) named after a disaster, hosting
an event with a farmer sharing their story about how they are affected by
climate change shocks and stresses, including these stories in their menu,
and more!

If you know or ARE a farmer, food business, food producer, or community
partner that would like to collaborate, we would love to feature, promote,
or work with you in some capacity. Please email me and we can go from
there. We can offer honourariums and free marketing for folks involved.

Thanks again for your time,
Paige Inglis & the Prepare Your Palate team.