[BCFSN] A letter and an invitation...

JK Bays joanne.k.bays at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:40:19 EST 2019

Hello all

(and a special wave to seasoned change makers who. like I, have been a part
of BC's  Food System Network since its inception...)

I wanted to take a few moments to provide a little update on the national
Farm to School front. Farm to School Canada  is  panCanadian *movement*
championed by Farm to Cafeteria Canada *t*hat has as a vision - more
healthy local sustainable foods in the minds and on the plates of students.
(I feel comfortable saying movement these days)

And this *movement * has roots right here in BC thanks, in large part,  to
the passion and commitment of so many who are part of the F2SBC network.

I am one of the original  (and fabled it seems) group of  " BC Community
Nutritionists"  who, in our time, basked in the glow of the support and
resources provided to us  by the provincial government. This was a
government that believed that if we want to achieve population health and
wellbeing  we needed to look beyond human  behaviours to address the
determinants of those behaviours. This was a government that was not
satisfied to pay lip service to the Ottawa Charter. This government funded
a department of public health promotion within the Ministry of Health The
head of that department was a Nutritionist. This government also funded a
provincial department of Public Health Nutrition within the Ministry of
Health. The head of that department was a Nutritionist. (And yes, they were
good friends). Under the leadership of these strong women,  BC saw the hire
of dozens of Community Nutritionists across - brilliant energetic rising
stars -each one.

Perhaps you know will some of these visionaries - Rose Soneff, Laura Kalina
 Tatjana Bates..... In those days the Ministry of Health  hired trained,
and  provided funding to bring these dynamos together twice per year -* for
the purpose of knowledge exchange, developing resources and yes developing
policy. Imagine that?*

Little wonder we were the first province with in the country (actually the
only province) where food security is understood to be a core public health
function.  And it is no accident that Health Authorities received funds to
support food policy councils..and neighbour food hubs..the vehicles for
achieving food security and sustainable food systems. I cannot tell you how
many times I smile when I see our frameworks and our policy and our
programs discussed across the country. Yes, they are still quoted...

We have so much to be proud of.

Since then, there has been considerable  change in governance and direction
with respect to the health sector  - yet somehow amazingly this work
continues to receive support from the Ministry of Health and the Public
Health Services Association and others within that sector. And
 increasingly NGOs, the municipalities, Universities, School Districts, etc
have taken the lead... I am grateful for the soldiers working behind the
scene to keep food security and sustainable food systems on the radar :)

My role on the BC Scene has been exciting and  multi-faceted. One of the
pieces I am most proud of is the  establishment of  a provincial Farm to
School network and the funding of so many programs. In the short time  I
was at the helm of that ship (4 yrs)  F2S in BC  blossomed into a network
of individuals running programs in > 100 schools. I am so thankful it
carries on as Farm to School BC under leadership of Richard Han  and his
team of Regional Animators and under the stewardship of PHABC.

As many of you know, I left my provincial work, and the family I knew so
well,  to collaborate with national colleagues who were keen to grow a
similar movement across the country.  And OMG the lessons learned!  Lesson
one - never open your mouth to an audience of 1100 people to announce you
are going to create a national organization in Canada - one that will focus
on bringing more healthy local sustainable foods into our public
institution. You might just get your wish!  In 2011 Farm to Cafeteria
Canada was launched...

I move now to the purpose of this letter. It is an invitation actually. I
am hoping that you will consider joining me and 450 of our peers - movers
and shakers from across the continent - who will be gathering in  Victoria
on may 15-19 to celebrate CANADA's Farm to School movement. I am so excited
about this event! I envision two days of reconnecting, thought provoking
conversations, great food, inspiring speakers....

Check out our website, including our speakers, and our program... and then
register...

I hope to see you there - each one

Joanne

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/6b4d90a543ff/f2cc-invitation-and-call-for-proposals-2934077?e=72289f372b>
Subscribe
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=8ea6dd71cd&e=72289f372b>
our newsletter!
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=7155a9b6cc&e=72289f372b>
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=0ec015d3f7&e=72289f372b>
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=554002ef5b&e=72289f372b>

------------------------------

*Inspiration.  **Innovation. * *IMPACT.*
------------------------------

*We’re excited to share the following updates about the 2019 National Farm
to School Conference:*

   - *Early Bird Registration deadline – Friday March 15, 2019*
   Have you heard? The Early-bird registration rate has been extended, but
   not for long! Register now
   <https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=032787971d&e=72289f372b>,
   before rates increase.

   - *Our Featured Speakers list is growing!*
   Head on over to the website to find the latest announcements of featured
   speakers
   <https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=8a50203208&e=72289f372b>
   you won’t want to miss!

   - *Program at a Glance announced
   <https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=9e77526c6d&e=72289f372b>!*
   We’re excited about the diversity and strength of the presentations,
   poster exhibitors and workshops that will be highlighted during the
   conference. The program is continuously evolving, so please stay tuned for
   exciting updates!

   - *NEW Frequently Asked Questions section added to the website*
   Do you have a question about the conference? Check out our new FAQ
   section
   <https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=f7ef526fe2&e=72289f372b>
   that we’ll be adding to frequently. If you don’t see your question, send us
   an email at conference at farmtocafeteriacanada.ca and we’ll add it to the
   list.

   - *Accommodations are going fast! *A reminder that the conference is
   heading into a long weekend, so accommodations are booking up fast! Book
   now to avoid disappointment. You can visit the website
   <https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=31a1b0bfae&e=72289f372b>
   for a list of some nearby hotels or check out Tourism Victoria
   <https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=aad37ccd92&e=72289f372b>
   for more options.

------------------------------

*F2S Inspirational Video Feature *

<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=cbf5c53f9d&e=72289f372b>

*Looking to get your F2S creative juices flowing?* In each of these updates
we’re featuring inspiring videos of Farm to School activity happening
across Canada. Check out this week’s video from Fresh Roots, viewable via
the conference homepage
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=d24c42d3c3&e=72289f372b>
.

Do have a video you’d like to share? Send us an email
<conference at farmtocafeteriacanada.ca> with a link for a chance to have it
appear as one of our feature videos!

------------------------------

*That’s all for now! We look forward to seeing you at the 2019 National
Farm to School Conference, as we INSPIRE, INNOVATE and organize for IMPACT
to close the distance between farm and fork and bring more healthy, local,
sustainable food to the minds and plates of students! *

Do you have a story to share for the next edition of our newsletter?
Email us at farm2cafeteriacanada at gmail.com
  For daily news follow us on
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=b0ee2398be&e=72289f372b>
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=288528c2e4&e=72289f372b>
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=2e7242f4e0&e=72289f372b>

*Copyright © 2018 Farm to Cafeteria Canada, All rights reserved. *
You are signed up for the F2CC mailing list and/or are a member.
Has this newsletter been forwarded to you? Subscribe here
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=369f75b62b&e=72289f372b>
!

For updates between issues, follow us on our website
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=80ec8fa3c7&e=72289f372b>,
Twitter
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=aced497190&e=72289f372b>
or
Facebook
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=da3b9f95c4&e=72289f372b>
.

*Contact us :*
Farm to Cafeteria Canada
4445 Norfolk Street
Burnaby, BC V5G 0A7
Canada

*For local F2CC or F2S news,** contact the regional lead
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=faea14ac47&e=72289f372b>in
your province.*

This email was sent to joanne.k.bays at gmail.com
*why did I get this?*
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/about?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=2e0671cf67&e=72289f372b&c=d42c788612>
    unsubscribe from this list
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=2e0671cf67&e=72289f372b&c=d42c788612>
    update subscription preferences
<https://farmtocafeteriacanada.us9.list-manage.com/profile?u=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&id=2e0671cf67&e=72289f372b>
F2CC · 4445 Norfolk Str · Burnaby, Bc V5G 0A7 · Canada

[image: Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]
<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=ec9d2bbf4ce1bf9cd66d7dbe4&afl=1>

--

Joanne Bays
National Director Farm to Cafeteria Canada
Email: Joanne.k.bays at gmail.com
*Victoria Office Phone: 250-384-7787*

Follow us!
Website: www.farmtocafeteriacanada.ca