[BCFSN] Nourish Report: Dialogue on household food insecurity

Bonnie Klohn bonnie at kamloopsfoodpolicycouncil.com
Tue Aug 27 12:36:44 EDT 2019

Hello all,
I wanted to share a report from Nourish, a community dialogue held in
Kamloops that raised awareness and instigated local action around the root
causes of household food insecurity.

The report outlines the approach and outcomes of the event, and is timely
as we are heading into UBCM, where a resolution has been proposed by
Revelstoke that encourages income-based solutions to household food
insecurity (shared Aug 14th by Melissa Hemphill).

Please feel free to share the report with your colleagues and your
municipality, and encourage them to support Revelstoke's resolution:

WHEREAS more than one in ten households in BC, [1 in 7 households in the
Interior Health region], experience household food insecurity and are more
vulnerable to chronic conditions leading to health care costs that are 2x
higher than food secure households;

AND WHEREAS rates of household food insecurity are not reduced by food
programs because they cannot address the root cause of household food
insecurity, being lack of income and extreme material deprivation.

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that UBCM frame household food insecurity as an
income-based problem and advocate to provincial and federal governments for
evidence-based income policy solutions to food insecurity.

--

*Bonnie Klohn*

*Join us at our next Network Meeting with legendary potluck!*
*First Wednesday of each month from 5:30 - 7:30 PM*