[BCFSN] Fresh Roots is Hiring a Farm Manager!

Marc Schutzbank marc at freshroots.ca
Tue Nov 20 10:46:47 EST 2018

*If you're looking for a job or two*
*We have so much for you to do*
*We're looking for farmers*
*for expert plant charmers*
*We're looking for someone like you!*

*Fresh Roots  <http://www.freshroots.ca/about>is hiring*! Fresh Roots grows
Good Food for All on educational farms on school grounds. We're looking for
a new* farm manager *to help us grow more healthy food for schools and the
community. Every youth deserves access to healthy food - we're looking for
an expert to help grow it. Check it out and learn more.
<http://www.freshroots.ca/jobs>

I've also posted it here below.

*Good Food For All*

Everyone should have access to healthy land, food, and community. We do
that by growing educational farms at schools across the lower mainland. Our
schoolyard farms grow more than just food. These are productive
agricultural spaces adjoined to cultural food and medicine gardens, orchard
spaces, indigenous and sensory foodscapes, and more. Through these spaces,
we provide good food for the community, empower youth through vocational
skills development, and serve as experiential learning outdoor classrooms
for over 6000 students each year.

We’re looking for the right person to help us GROW (all puns intended)!
Help plant your vision of educational farming by managing our schoolyard
farms and food lands to be places of production and learning; a farm oasis
in the city. Our work starts with the soil, and our sites are the starting
place for all of our programs. You’ll get a chance to help frame and create
what educational farms should be on school grounds in the lower mainland.

*What You’ll Do*

In this role, you will be our Farm Manager, growing and sharing food with
the community. You will lead our team towards our production and
educational growing goals. Fresh Roots’ farms have been in production for
five years, and we’re looking for you to help steward and grow our
schoolyard farms into the future. If you love to share your farming
knowledge, and love growing and sharing healthy food, then this is the
place for you. In your role, you will:

*Grow Good Food!*

   - Grow and sell $15,000-20,000 of food from our Vancouver Schoolyard
   Market Gardens through CSA, farmers market, community partners, and our
   youth programs
   - Manage year-round farm and site logistics, crop planning, pest, soil
   and tool management.
   - Help our farms grow and change to meet our 10-year plan.
   - Support our program teams across Delta, Coquitlam and Vancouver to
   grow Good Food.
   - Work with the Executive Director to understand resource needs for
   successful growth.
   - Support the growth and development of our cultural food and medicine
   gardens, perennial spaces, and indigenous foodscapes.

*Train young farmers*

   - In partnership with Fresh Roots staff, recruit, train and manage farm
   staff on our five sites.
   - Recruit, train and manage our Good Food Internship program where youth
   learn to grow, share, and farm.
   - Formalize intern training and ongoing management of our Vancouver
   Schoolyard Farms; support our program managers on other sites.
   - Empower the Fresh Roots Experiential Learning and Youth Empowerment
   teams to grow and share healthy food on site.
   - Empower Fresh Roots staff to engage and support the farms.

*Qualifications*

   - +3 Years Farm Management Experience; with 5 years applied farming or
   gardening skills.
   - +2 Years management experience.

*Required Skills*

   - Farming: You are a productive grower who is able to crop plan, and
   prepare nutrient, pest, and seeding plans; you feel comfortable planning
   using Excel. You are curious about new plants and cannot wait to show us
   seeds that you’ve found from a seed library.
   - Managing: You love to grow new farmers and can successfully hire,
   train, and manage your team to support the growing and sharing of Good Food.
   - Experiential Learning: You love sharing what you know with your team
   and with community members of all ages. One of your favorite things is to
   share with youth the secrets of the farm and garden.
   - Relationships: You will inspire the school community to get involved
   and share good food.
   - Must have a class five driver’s license and access to their own
   vehicle or car share.

*Key Details*

   - $40,000 – 48,000 annualized salary; Benefits
   - This position reports to the Executive Director and is based in
   Vancouver.

*How to Apply*

E-mail a short cover letter (500 words), resume, in one pdf. Please also
include a crop plan and harvest record that you have created in the past to
jobs(at)freshroots(dot)ca. The subject should be “Your Name – Good
Food.” *Review
of applications will begin immediately upon reception.*

Interviews scheduled for December 19, 20. Employment begins on January 15.

*Diversity: *Fresh Roots is committed to employment equity and encourages
applications from underrepresented groups.

We regret that due to the high volume of applicants only those selected for
interviews will be contacted.

--
Marc Schutzbank
Executive Director

ph: 778-872-KALE (5253)
w: www.freshroots.ca <http://www.freshroots.ca/>
twitter/facebook/instagram/youtube @freshrootsfarms
Growing Food. Growing Communities.

I acknowledge that we live, work and play on the unceded and traditional
homelands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish),
sel̓íl̓witulh
(Tsleil Waututh) and Coast Salish peoples.

*Fresh Roots named BC Business' 30 Under 30.
<http://freshroots.ca/blog/marc-schutzbank-named-bc-business-30-30/>*

*Fresh Roots awarded City of Vancouver's Awards of Excellence in Greenest
City Leadership!
<http://freshroots.ca/blog/fresh-roots-vancouver-award-excellence-greenest-city-leadership/>*

*"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come
alive, and then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people that
have come alive."  *
*Dr Howard Thurman*