[BCFSN] Reminder upcoming BCFSN AGM - Dec 20th, 7-8pm

Julie Sage JSage at discoveryorganics.ca
Tue Dec 18 13:31:47 EST 2018

Hello,
Would it be possible for you to update my email address to juliepsage at gmail.com<mailto:juliepsage at gmail.com> please?
Many thanks
Julie

From: food [mailto:food-bounces at bcfsn.org] On Behalf Of Colin Dring
Sent: December-18-18 10:20 AM
To: food at bcfsn.org
Subject: [BCFSN] Reminder upcoming BCFSN AGM - Dec 20th, 7-8pm

Hi all,

Greetings and a reminder of our upcoming invitation to the 2018 AGM of the BCFSN, 7 pm on 20 December via Zoom online meeting platform<https://zoom.us/j/780582667> (please ensure that you download the Zoom App). As part of our ongoing process of reflection we wanted to share our current thinking and some contextual information:

  1.  The BCFSN was founded in 1999 for people working in their communities to share and support one another in organizing around food.  We welcomed every participant as both teacher and learner and built a network based on personal relationships with an annual Gathering that emphasized Indigenous, traditional and place-based food knowledge and participatory processes.
  2.  In 2004, the BCFSN formally incorporated as a BC not-for-profit Society.  The Society was put on hold when the BCFSN became a project of Tides in 2014.  The decision was made to keep the Society status valid in case at some future date the BCFSN might wish to leave Tides and resume operation as a stand-alone not-for-profit.  Currently we have a Society structure in good standing under the new Societies Act with six Directors. To keep the Society in good standing, an AGM must be held each calendar year and a financial statement presented.
  3.  As noted in the previous email, the BCFSN is currently without staff or funding, which means (if $100,000 cannot be raised by March 31st, 2019) that it will cease to be a Tides project.

In preparation for the meeting, we would appreciate if each person who attends considers the following questions:

  1.  Do you think there is an ongoing need for a food-centered network?
  2.  If yes, what role(s) should such a network fulfil?
  3.  Would you consider joining at least four others to help advance ongoing dialogue (if this is what should be done at this time)? Note: we anticipate that over the next year, work could include hosting and convening discussions with the BCFSN listservs and contacts on the questions above; helping navigate an exit from Tides, if needed; and/or developing a future path for the Society based on feedback received (this could include dissolution; dormancy; or a nominations process for a 2019 Board of Directors).

With the above in mind, and valuing each of our experiences to date with the Network, we look forward to this discussion with you to determine the future direction, if any, of the BCFSN.  It is our belief that we should be putting efforts into a deeper conversation and hope you will join us in these first steps.

Best,

--
Chair, BC Food Systems Network<http://bcfsn.org/>
Secretary, Sustainable Agriculture Education Association<http://www.sustainableaged.org/>