[BCFSN] Please help Save Our Local Fisheries - Join our Thunderclap campaign

Abra Brynne abra at ecotrust.ca
Sat Apr 14 17:23:26 EDT 2018

Hello all,

Slow Fish Canada has just launched a Thunderclap campaign. We have less than 2 weeks to have as many supporters as we can sign up, ideally with the BIGGEST social media followings. Please considering supporting this campaign through your social media platforms - before April 25th. And please share the email below - with the context and link to the campaign - to your networks.

thanks everyone!

Abra

Abra Brynne

Senior Policy Advisor, Fisheries

c: 250.777.2480

ecotrust.ca<http://ecotrust.ca>

designing economic alternatives

that benefit people in the places

they call home

Time for fisheries policy reform in BC!

[ChelseyEllisPhotography-7790]BC wild fisheries provide a bounty of values to coastal communities and Canadians - a critical source of local healthy food, a key contributor to our economy, a provider of jobs, a connector to nature, and for the many communities along our BC coast, a foundation of our identity itself.

But our current fisheries management system is fundamentally broken.

Our BC fisheries are being mismanaged using policies that result in multinational corporations and speculative investors dominating over fishermen-owned small businesses and rural coastal communities. In BC, the exorbitant cost of licences and quota is leaving no room for independent fishermen, small scale community and family fishing businesses to exist. This has led to loss of jobs, negative environmental impacts, safety concerns, and less sustainable seafood available to Canadians.

But there is an opportunity right now to make change.

We now call on The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau and The Honourable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, to commit to fisheries policy reform for Pacific fisheries that can address these issues and that return the many benefits of this resource to our harvesters, communities and the Canadian public.

We need YOU now!

Click on this link to join our Thunderclap campaign “Save Our Local Fisheries<https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/69458-save-our-local-fisheries>” before WEDNESDAY 25TH APRIL

Sign up as a supporter with your social media credentials. We need at least 100 supporters so that the following message will automatically get published to social media accounts on Thursday 26th April at 2pm PST:

“Keep Wall Street out of BC fisheries. Defend our coastal communities, food systems, and oceans. Sign the Petition!”

By speaking together, at the same time, our message will stand out on social media, so that fans and followers can show their support and our voice can get heard by government.

THANKYOU!