[BCFSN] Upcoming Event: BC Seed Gathering Nov 3 & 4 KPU Richmond

Keeley Nixon keeleynixon at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 15:12:02 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I wanted to share this through the network, one of the amazing "armchair"
farming projects I am working on now that I am out of the field is the
upcoming BC Seed Gathering. Feel free to share and cross promote widely.
There's an opportunity for input at the bottom of this email and don't
hesitate to contact me at anytime for more information

Thanks!
Keeley
--
Keeley Nixon
Keeley Nixon Creative & Consulting  <http://www.keeleynixon.com/>

BC Seed Gathering <http://www.bcseeds.org/gathering/>

Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Richmond, BC
<https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Kwantlen+Polytechnic+University/@49.1746579,-123.1274077,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6a82544b83f899c3?sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRmJHkurnWAhVO72MKHTK_D-AQ_BIIiAEwCw>

November 3rd - 4th, 2017

Join us for our 3rd BC Seed Gathering: 2 days of learning, networking and
engagement in ecological seed production, plant breeding and local seed
systems.

*Friday: *

   - UBC Farm <http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/> tour of variety trial fields
   - Community Seed Networking session & BC Eco Seed Co-op
   <https://www.bcecoseedcoop.com/> meeting (folks from other seed co-ops
   or prospective members welcome!)
   - Young Agrarians  <http://youngagrarians.org/>Social with seed speed
   dating, seed equipment show & shine etc.

*Saturday: *
Full day of sessions in 3 streams 1) beginner seed, 2) advanced seed 3)
community seed (seed libraries, Seedy Saturday and more)

*Highlights include*

   - Growing Native Plants from Seed:Twin Sisters Native Plants Nursery of
   Saulteau & West Moberly First Nation - Vanessa Adams
   - Integrating Seed Production Into Diversified Vegetable Operations - Mel
   Sylvestre
   - Creating Farm-Original Varieties: Practical Plant Breeding for Climate
   Change & Regional Adaptation - Steve Peters
   - Sustaining the Seed Custodians: Community Seed Collections
   Self-Sufficiency
   - Tools to Increase Production & Profitability: From Pricing to Contract
   Growing Determining What Works for Your Farm - Dan Brisebois & Chris
   Thoreau
   - Agricultural Co-ops: Creating Advances Across the BC Seed Sector - Elvy
   Del Bianco, Chris Bodnar, Arzeena Hamir
   - Growing Seed for Medicinal Plants - Rupert Adams

*Registration*

   - The full two days programming and meals is $225 CAD
   - Group bookings of 4 or more save 25%, registration is online here
   <https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bc-seed-gathering-2017-tickets-36591941482>
   - Hotels in Richmond are doing group rates and there is also  a range of
   on Airbnb <https://goo.gl/ipXXSN>
   - We have a participant fundraising toolkit here
   <http://www.bcseeds.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/BCSG_SponsorASeedGrowerAdvocate_Toolkit2.pdf>
   - Sponsorship opportunities for food donations and other supports still
   open, see here
   <http://www.bcseeds.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/BCSG_SponsorshipPackage3.pdf>

*Input wanted!*
Do you work with a Seedy Saturday or Seed Library/Collection in your
community? Send Keeley and email with ideas around the following to have
your voice and community perspective heard at the Gathering

   1. What's your top 1-3 challenges in Seedy Saturday/Seed Library organizing
   in your community?
   2. What strategy, practice or tool has best helped your success?
   3. What do you want to see Seedy Saturdays/Seed Libraries across the
   province to be like in 5 years?
   4. What's the one thing about your Seedy Saturday/Seed Library you want
   other organizers to know?