[BCFSN] March 18th Growing Worker Power: Innovative Organizing Across the Food System (Vancouver)

Anelyse Weiler anelyse.m.weiler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 20:04:44 EST 2017

Hi all,

We'd be delighted to have BCFSN folks join this upcoming symposium in
Vancouver on worker organizing across the food system. Please note that
although admission is free, space is limited. We're asking people to
register in advance on Eventbrite (link below).

Hope to see many of you there!
Anelyse

Growing Worker Power: Innovative Organizing Across the Food System

SFU's School for International Studies invites you to join us in honouring
the engaged scholarship of the late SFU alumna Kerry Preibisch. We are
hosting a full-day symposium with research and stories of hope on how
precarious workers in agriculture, food processing and restaurants have
struggled for workplace power through creative forms of collective
organizing.

Saturday, March 18th, 9am-4pm
Room 2270, SFU Harbour Centre, 515 W Hastings St, Vancouver, BC, Coast
Salish Territories.

Free and open to the public
Free coffee and snacks
Must register on eventbrite by March 15:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/growing-worker-power-innovative-organizing-across-the-food-system-tickets-31766723124

<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/growing-worker-power-innovative-organizing-across-the-food-system-tickets-31766723124>
<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/growing-worker-power-innovative-organizing-across-the-food-system-tickets-31766723124>Facebook
RSVP (optional): https://www.facebook.com/events/1085736854905404/

Presenters include:
- Adriana Paz Ramirez/Justice for Migrant Workers, Fight for $15
- Anthony Peeples/Restaurant Opportunities Center United Chicago
- Rebecca Fuentes & Kathleen Sexsmith, Worker Justice Center of New
York/Workers' Center of Central New York/Cornell University
- Amy Coplen/Portland State University
- Geraldina Polanco/University of Waterloo
- Robyn Bunn/Radical Action with Migrants in Agriculture Okanagan
- Jill Bucklaschuk, University of Guelph
- Kendra Strauss, Simon Fraser University

Organized by Gerardo Otero (International Studies and Sociology, Simon
Fraser University) and Anelyse Weiler (Sociology, University of Toronto)

Generously supported by SFU Latin American Studies, the Centre for
Sustainable Food Systems at UBC Farm, Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation, UBC
Latin American Studies, SFU Labour Studies, and Institute for the
Humanities at SFU.