[BCFSN] Upcoming webinar: Promoting equity in local food systems through Cooperative Extension

Stephanie Lim stephlim at alumni.utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 8 14:55:46 EDT 2017

*From: *"Hislop, Rasheed (Parks)" <Rasheed.Hislop at parks.nyc.gov>
*Subject: **FW: Upcoming webinar: Promoting equity in local food systems
through Cooperative Extension*
*Date: *August 2, 2017 at 6:46:30 AM PDT
*To: *"saea-steering-council at googlegroups.com" <
saea-steering-council at googlegroups.com>, "Sustainable Agriculture Education
Association" <saea.information at gmail.com>

Greetings all,

Please see information below regarding the next webinar on “Promoting
Equity in Local Food Systems through Cooperative Extension” which will
happen on Wednesday September 6th from 12-1 PST; 3-4 EST. We are
co-llaborating on this webinar with the Community Local and Regional Food
Systems Community of Practice.

This critical work is relevant and beneficial for all of us doing work in
the agricultural and food systems-related fields whether rural, urban,
sub-urban, coastal or land-locked – because there is no agriculture without
culture. We must acknowledge the impact of social systems upon our work –
and ways we can navigate these social systems to undo the oppression that
continues to this day. The learning, teaching and doing of these systems
and processes is incomplete/un-whole without an investigation of race,
class, gender, power and privilege and how they continue to manifest and
how people in and with extension are able to overcome these tremendous and
often fear-inducing obstacles. I encourage you to share this opportunity
with your colleagues, students, friends and family members and your
neighbors – this is a conversation everyone should be a part of.

Mark your calendars. Hope you can make it! Please see the message from Lucy
Diekman below for more details. I will be sending reminders as we get
closer to the date.

In solidarity,