[BCFSN] Local food is great, but can it go too far?

Connie Kuramoto connie.kuramoto at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:57:48 EDT 2016

I agree with most of what they say, however, do draw a softer line on some
of the more urban farm ideas.  I do feel that once we switch our energy
methodology a lot more will be possible in a sustainable way.  I also
advocate roof top gardens and apiaries.  I have never agreed with the
premise that we are running out of land.  If you started to grow real food
on land that now grows corn for high fructose corn syrup that just goes
into junk food, devoid of any nutritional benefit we would be much further
ahead in this.  Saying that, there is more land irrigated for lawn than for
corn, so feel that eventually we will finally be forced to outlaw lawns,
which will free up tremendous suburbian food production areas. The other
issue is the food waste created by a more centralized system.  But I am
sure I am preaching to the choir on that point. Ah the joys of a " free
enterprise" system. This was a very well written article, and provides
a good background for discussion.  I will be using this article in some of
my classes for discussion.  Thank you for sharing it.
Connie Kuramoto

--
“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I
can hear her breathing.”

 Arundhati Roy

Find me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gardens-on-the-Go/192951144051805