[BCFSN] Local food is great, but can it go too far?

Jan Steinman Jan at EcoReality.org
Fri Sep 23 12:57:30 EDT 2016

> From: "Pamela Zevit Adamah Consultants" <adamah at telus.net>
> Interesting review that takes more of a full cost accounting perspective on aspects of local food production.

I went there, prepared to do battle in honour of local food, but I must say I agree with the author, who approves of local food, but who decries the “hyper-local” movement of indoor urban food production, using grow-lights and inputs shipped from far away.

:::: The story of fast food traces a path of wreckage that starts with chemical factory shipments to the farm, proceeds through inhumane slaughterhouses to portion-control factories churning out uniform buns and patties to numbed minimum-wage workers, and ends up in the hospital in the form of obesity, diabetes, and heart attacks -- an allegory of modernity. -- Paul Hawken <http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Paul+Hawken>
:::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op <http://www.ecoreality.org/> ::::