[BCFSN] Canadian Best Management Practices for Honey Bee Health

Roz Powell rozpowell at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 22:01:07 EDT 2016

Hi folks,
If anyone can provide specific ideas for plants to put in for our wild bees, we’re in the ALR, but mostly forested, I’d love to know what to look for… without adding anything invasive to the ecology of local habitat….

I’d love to know what these plants suggested, here, might include...

>From the pg 49 section on Habitat…  A wide variety of plants
should be available that bloom at different times of the year without any significant gaps. At
least some of the plants should be substantial nectar-producing plants and the pollen produced
by these plants should contain high levels of crude protein and all of the 10 essential amino
acids. Diversity is important, as any one plant may not contain all of the essential amino acids.
Knowledge of the available forage in the area is important when selecting a spot to place hives.

Thanks,
Roz

On Oct 29, 2016, at 8:57 PM, Pamela Zevit Adamah Consultants <adamah at telus.net<mailto:adamah at telus.net>> wrote:

I am not a beekeeper but am trying to stay informed about what is happening in the industry because it so tied to native wild pollinator conservation. So the section on habitat (pg. 49) is of significant interest to me and I am glad to see it is included along with notes about invasive species. Though I am a bit disappointed there is nothing beyond two brief mentions of native wild bee/pollinator conservation or conservation benefits as part of enhancing domestic honey bee production. From what I have seen though there is a lot more effort happening on the ground around connecting the dots between wild pollinators and managed species with individual apiarists.

BCBeekeepers has posted a new item, 'Canadian Best Management Practices for Honey Bee Health'
Best Management Practices (BMPs) for the honey bee industry are developed by different levels and divisions of government, various organizations, institutions and stakeholders. Content ranging from regulations for pest and disease treatment thresholds to management of colonies during pollination services are included. While in many cases these recommendations are readily available, their authors are varied [...] You may view the latest post at http://bcbeekeepers.com/canadian-best-management-practices-for-honey-bee-health/

Pamela Zevit, RPBio
Adamah Consultants
Coquitlam BC Canada
604-939-0523
adamah at telus.net<mailto:adamah at telus.net>
Re-connecting People & Nature
Science World - Scientists & Innovators in Science Ambassador

No virus found in this message.

Follow BCFSN on Facebook and Twitter