[BCFSN] FW: News from Gaia College

Pamela Zevit Adamah Consultants adamah at telus.net
Thu Aug 25 14:46:14 EDT 2016

Gaia College had humble roots here in southwest BC, I was deeply saddened to learn of the Gaia College's co-founder, Heide Hermary's death this spring. I only met her once many years ago and we corresponded the odd time about urban biodiversity and food security over the years.

So glad to see how they have grown and sustained their work in urban land care and permaculture over the years and that such opportunities exist for life-long learning in my community.

Fall courses starting soon!

 <http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=7d0a124b08&e=ee6a044181> View this email in your browser

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591/images/5603f434-f6a8-4be0-a5e7-0a2c4e089ba5.jpg>

Our Fall Semester starts September 12th

Register now!
(Late registrations accepted 'til Sept. 23rd, except SketchUp Pro).

 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=8c89739dfc&e=ee6a044181> Diploma in Organic Landcare

 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=5a9c4c7dc1&e=ee6a044181> Advanced Diploma in Urban Permaculture

 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=bb7ecef5ef&e=ee6a044181> Professional Development

Earn Continuing Education Credits with
ISA, NALP, CNLA and MGOI.

Our Feature Course:
 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=90e321db97&e=ee6a044181> Systems Thinking for Environmental Professionals - Online:

In our urban environments we are experiencing many unintended consequences of previous land use management practices. In part, this arises due to the complex nonlinear relationships of natural systems. We need new tools to effectively integrate our existing knowledge and experience. Systems thinking facilitates a holistic decision making process.

At Gaia College we use a systems thinking perspective throughout our curriculum, to introduce students to the network of relationships that come into play, whether it be organic horticulture or living green infrastructure. Through the application of systems thinking methodology and tools in analyzing specific situations, the underlying biological and environmental relationships are revealed. In turn, this expands awareness of our connections to and within the environment and how they can be accounted for in our decisions. This awareness increases capacity to achieve land use objectives and supporting a healthy environment while minimizing unintended consequences and identifying them when they arise. Systems Thinking for Environmental Professionals - Online gives environmental managers and decision makers powerful new analytical and problem solving abilities.

 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=d90a5475c0&e=ee6a044181> Read more...

  <https://gallery.mailchimp.com/04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591/images/f76ec7eb-5d8d-458c-938d-f8d48861eeea.jpg>

We have been busy the last few months:

We renewed our Continuing Education Credits with various organizations. Please visit each course's homepage "Credits" tab to see if you can apply them to your membership in ISA, NALP, CNLA, BCSLA and MGOI.

Our Facebook Page has seen high traffic.  Here are the top 3 most popular sites links:

*	 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=c03ff4503c&e=ee6a044181> North American bats are mainly peaceful insectivores. Lets remember our helpful friends.
*	 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=c98df045f6&e=ee6a044181> A clean win for renewable resources!
*	 <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=27a7768941&e=ee6a044181> Somethings are so easily overlooked.

We will be at the 2016  <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=dcd757a33f&e=ee6a044181> CanWest Hort Expo in Abbotsford, BC, Sept 28/29.  Come find us at booth #1317.

Last but not least:  Gaia College is now an associate member of the  <http://gaiacollege.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=04f2fa41707e1a73c81bd6591&id=5c0b18d2df&e=ee6a044181> British Columbia Landscape & Nursery Association.

Copyright © 2016 Gaia College, All rights reserved.
You expressed interest in Gaia College programs.

Our mailing address is:

Gaia College

5820 Wilson Avenue

Duncan, BC V9L 1K4