[BCFSN] Fwd: [BCMAN] Opinion: Put the brakes on mineral development

Dawn Morrison dmo6842 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:11:11 EDT 2015

Ah, turnips! My favourite trap crop!

Since we're on recently-broken hay fields, we have tons of wireworm. We surround our root crops with turnips, and end up with carrots and potatoes without many ugly black tracks in them.

And then we feed the wireworm-infested turnips to our goats!

We once got a pound of mangle seed on sale for only $4, and also use them as a root crop trap crop.

On 2015-08-18, at 09:00, food-request at bcfsn.org wrote:

> From: "Pamela Zevit Adamah Consultants" <adamah at telus.net>
>
> Not sure if this beetle is a pest here, but the concept is one that has been around for a long time.
>
> “Turnips seem to be more attractive to the yellowmargined leaf beetle palate than cabbage, so instead of eating the cabbage, the beetles dined on the turnips. This pest-management technique is known as “trap cropping.” One crop (the trap crop) is used to lure insects away from the crop being grown for harvest (the cash crop).”
> http://entomologytoday.org/2015/08/12/trap-cropping-may-offer-organic-growers-an-alternative-to-pesticides/

:::: Four multinational companies control over seventy percent of fluid milk sales in the U.S... These giants have grown through debt-fueld acquisitions and mergers and by keeping payments to dairy farmers as low as possible. -- Ron Schmid