[BCFSN] Fwd: LAST CHANCE TO APPLY: $1.3 million grant program for environmental community projects

Gerardo Otero otero at sfu.ca
Thu Aug 20 15:36:52 EDT 2015

Hi All,

The situation with the slough of mining proposals that are threatening the
health and integrity of Indigenous food systems in the forests, fields and
waterways is ultimately linked to the health of the entire food system
including agriculture. With the rapid changes in climate and water levels
dropping and temperatures rising, we cannot afford to let anymore mining
accidents and extractive industries take priority over our basic needs for
adequate amounts of healthy clean water. It is not acceptable that Mount
Polley mine has been given the go ahead to re-open without having done
anything to clean up the mess from the tailings pond breach that went in to
the Fraser Basin.

If there was ever a time to align with Indigenous peoples to make a
significant change, it is now. Share forwarded messaged below widely within
your circles and help build our capacity by linking sustainable farming
communities with Indigenous peoples and communities impacted by mining.

Dawn Morrison,

BC Food Systems Network
Working Group on Indigenous Food Sovereignty
C/O 555 East 55th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C, V5X 1N6
Mobile: 778.879.5106
Email: dmo6842 at gmail.com