[BCFSN] Open House at Emma's Acres on April 25th, 2015 from 10am-2pm

seflett at telus.net seflett at telus.net
Mon Apr 20 13:51:59 EDT 2015

Hi David,

I’ve attached a copy of a demand estimate we did for beef (all beef, local beef and grassfeed beef) demand in our region as an example. We took the per capita demand for beef, applied that over our local populations, and then applied a 10% local consumption target and a 3% grassfed beef target. For example, in Terrace (which has a similar population as Powell River), approximately 554,281 lbs of beef is consumed annually, which translates to approximately 924 animals. If you aspired to a 10% local beef target, you could expect a demand for 92 animals from local producers.

The interesting result of this exercise was that a) we demonstrated that our region (hwy 16) produces far more beef cattle than the local population could ever consume and b) that our local abattoirs have the capacity to process 19% of the area’s beef demand, and are actually already processing about 10% - which means we’ve likely achieved a 10% local consumption target for beef in our region – yay!

This kind of data can be applied to many food staples that have per capita consumption statistics, and then combined with your own survey data. Feel free to call if you would like further explanation.

Thanks,

Jillian Merrick
Project Coordinator
Beyond the Market
1566-7th Ave., Prince George | P: 250-562-9622 ext 115 | F: 250 562 9119 | www.beyondthemarket.ca<http://cfdc.bc.ca/projects/beyond-the-market> | www.cfdc.bc.ca<http://cfdc.bc.ca/>

Beyond the Market is an economic development strategy run by Community Futures Fraser Fort George  that supports the local food and agriculture sectors across the BC Highway 16 region. We provide promotion, coaching, training and extension services to local farm businesses. Stay up to date on our website or on our Facebook page.