[BCFSN] Fwd: free business training webinars

Abra Brynne abra at peelingtheonion.ca
Wed Sep 17 23:35:48 EDT 2014

BITS AND BYTES  SEPTEMBER 2014

NEWS FROM THE FOOD MOVEMENT

 NEW!
 Announcing Waves of Change Program

Thanks to the breadth, depth and diversity of the food movement, we have an
incredible program [1] to offer you for our upcoming assembly in Halifax.
_WAVES OF CHANGE: SUSTAINABLE FOOD FOR ALL_ will feature 3 plenaries, 50
concurrent sessions, 5 tours, a feast and much more. Over 170 people have
already registered for this event that you won't want to miss.

PROMOTE YOUR ORGANIZATION (TABLE OR ADVERTISE): We have tables [2] in the
foyer of the Habourfront Marriott Hotel and advertising space [3] in our
program. Space is limited!

BURSARY APPLICATION OPEN - We realize that the cost of attending the
assembly is higher than many of us can afford. We strongly encourage you to
fundraise locally (check out these helpful tips [4]) and apply for a
partial bursary [5].

Special thanks to our generous sponsors [6] without them we wouldn't have
an Assembly!

OCTOBER 16, 2014: WORLD FOOD DAY

In one month exactly, we will be celebrating World Food Day with a special
focus this year on Family Farming. By choosing the "Feeding the world,
caring for the earth" slogan, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the
United Nations [7] is highlighting the significant role of family farming
around the world.

ARE YOU HOLDING A WORLD FOOD DAY EVENT?

Food Secure Canada is offering you its website [8] and a press release to
promote it. An interactive map will be created online before the big day to
locate events happening across Canada in the hopes that it will help create
public and media awareness for this dynamic food movement. If you would
like to be a part of it, please fill out the Webform [8] by October 7th.
Don't wait a minute longer!

​
 _PEOPLE'S SOCIAL FORUM: _REPORT FROM THE FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ASSEMBLY

Around 30 people gathered for the Food and Agriculture thematic assembly of
the People's Social Forum on Saturday August the 24th.

This gathering was the occasion to:

- Share our different geographical and thematic experiences that are part
of the Canadian food movement
 - Evaluate the political challenges and opportunities that this present
moment offers to our various organizations and struggles.
 - Discuss the Peoples' Food Policy initiative before opening up to
proposals for the future.

Read more [9]

INSTITUTIONAL FOOD PROGRAM UPDATE

The Institutional Food Program, funded by the J.W. McConnell Family
Foundation's Sustainable Food Systems Initiative, seeks to increase the
supply of fresh, local and sustainable food in public institutions in
Canada, thereby prompting supply chain shifts towards more sustainable food
production and systems.

Food Secure Canada will be supporting the recently announced grantees of
the McConnell Foundation's Institutional Food Fund with technical support
and coordinating a learning group. The eight grantees [10] will be making
changes to procurement in campus, health care and school settings, and the
learning group will provide an opportunity for the projects to learn from
each other's successes and challenges along with experts in the field.

For more information about the program contact Jennifer Reynolds

ACORN PROGRAM AND REGISTRATION NOW OPENS!

Join the Atlantic Canadian Organic Regional Network (ACORN) in Halifax,
November 12-14th, for Honouring Our Roots, Sowing Our Future-ACORN's 15th
Annual Conference and Trade Show! Register online before Sunday, September
28th and receive the early-bird (discounted!) rate and a chance to win a
free night's stay at the Halifax Harbourfront Marriott Hotel (the
Conference location for both ACORN & FSC)!

Register now [11] to secure your participation for three full days of over
50 workshops covering a wide range of food and farming topics, including
farm wellness and management; season extension; community food skills and
much, much more! ACORN will also feature a special, 4-course, 100% Organic
Banquet on November 13th, preceding Dr. Vandana Shiva's keynote address.
For full details, please visit our website and join the Facebook event here
[12]!

CANADA BLOCKS INTERNATIONAL CONSENSUS ON INDIGENOUS PEOPLE'S RIGHTS

Once again Canada has fallen out of step with the international community
on Indigenous Peoples' right to free, prior and informed consent. This
time, it is at global negotiations on Responsible Agricultural Investment
(RAI), taking place at the Committee on World Food Security in Rome. When
Canada failed to endorse the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
Peoples, national and international pressure worked. Its time to do that
again. Check out this backgrounder [13] on the negotiations in Rome. And
get in touch with Minister of Foreign Affairs John Baird
(john.baird at international.gc.ca, 613 995 1851, twitter: @HonJohnBaird) and
let him know that there can be no responsible agricultural investment
without the consent of First Nations.

To learn more about RAI [14]

BUSINESS BOOTCAMP REBOOT - *_FREE ACCESS_

The popular Food Business Bootcamp is back again this fall, focusing this
time on all things Operations. Learn how to manage workflow and staffing,
what the best IT solution is for your enterprise, the ins and outs of food
safety and post harvest handling, regulatory compliance and risk
management.

The Bootcamp fall session will launch on Sept 24th with "Information
technology: choosing the right systems for your food enterprise." The
session provides a framework for food hubs to assess their technology
needs, structure a search for technology solutions and evaluate and select
the right technology solutions for their needs. The webinar is presented by
Saloni Doshi of New Venture Advisors. To learn more about the session and
to sign up, click here [15].

UPCOMING EVENTS

HOW TO GROW MUSHROOMS WITH SHELLY LAMBERT AND LUKASZ WOZNIAK

September, 20

Hosted by Just Food Farm

READ MORE [16]

2ND WORLD SMALL-SCALE FISHERIES CONGRESS

September, 21-25
 Mexico

Read more [17]

WILD EDIBLES AND MEDICINAL PLANTS WITH AMBER WESTFALL

September, 27

Hosted by Just Food Farm

Read more [18]

See full events calendar [19]