[BCFSN] Request for Beyond the Market Workshop Presenters

Jillian Merrick jillianm at cfdc.bc.ca
Wed Jul 23 19:43:04 EDT 2014

As a scientist it is important for me to understand all sides of an argument or position. Then use
my experience and knowledge to make an informed conclusion - based on all available evidence. It is
a required tenet for my work (that and that annoying "correlation is not causation" and actually my
favourite "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"). So that sometimes means reading (and
sharing) work that can be considered provocative or emotive. I knew the first piece at least would
generate some responses. As it was a blog piece that tends to make it more of an opinion piece
looking at all sides. So I agree Rosemary it doesn't take a stand one way or the other. But maybe it
is more important that the discussion and the debate continues and concerns are not being dismissed
by those who have the resources to do the empirical evidence finding. Having said that folks will
likely 'love' this recent series by Brooke Borel in Popular Science:

http://www.popsci.com/category/popsci-authors/brooke-borel-0. Start with the 10 truths about GMO's
midway down. I leave it to you to determine if and where the flaws are (and not to shoot me the
messenger J)

Pamela