[BCFSN] Gary Runka named 2014 Land Champion

Arzeena Hamir arzeenahamir at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 11 17:47:14 EDT 2014

It does!

Seemingly the corporations have 'all the say' and all agreements from the
past are gone - as we are seeing in the Clearwater Valley - where logging
has begun.... in spite of promises to honour agreements to "have
conversation with all parties at the table before logging begins"... how do
the people who spent hours of their time hammering out the agreements feel?
- it's been  'a waste of time' - good volunteer community grass roots time
-

Both Government and Industry want those trees -not 'all the trees' - only
the 'salable' ones - the rest will be burnt.. big heaps of beautiful trees
burnt in the fall -  no thought of bio-diversity - mud slides - water loss
( or change of direction as roads are cut into the mountainsides) - no
thought of the other aspects of monetary goods coming into the community (
Tourism) - no thought of the future repercussions road - closures due to
slides/wash-outs-No thought of the animals or the fact that some of those
trees are just now beginning to provide much needed winter habitat for the
Caribou - No: just this years 'bottom line'.

What money stays in the community? A few wages, a bit of tax revenue, the
occasional bursary and what else? - well we can't forget the newly
introduced summer barbecue -  !:(

Each little community is facing a challenge with big corporations - some
mining, some logging -some the pipeline - some the over-fishing - all the
encroachment of our water supplies -  the list goes on....

It makes one wonder what the plan will be when we have no water - no trees
- no animals - no future.... who will feed the people then?  We are already
being asked to help 'foreign' families who - just a few short years ago
were self reliant - and now are starving.... who will be left to help us
when we are starving?  Who?????

When I read this - it re-enforced the need for the general public to
awaken!!!!! - we need and must 'stand together' with like minded folks - as
Elder Mike suggested : 'it is time for us to be friends, and walk together
into the future' and we need to being now  - all of us - united.

Perhaps a look at the 'Transition Town' movement? It is the only solution I
can see - get the people - the ordinary people - together and take back the
power.... remember - govn't officials are supposed to be OUR employees - we
pay their wages..... perhaps we are ready to consider giving them
directions as to how we want them to perform their jobs... it is, after
all, our responsibility as their employers.

Thanks for listening

Cheryl Thomas
Clearwater, BC

--