[BCFSN] Gleaning programs

Elizabeth Howard bellacoolanut at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 10:48:34 EDT 2021

I will set up a zoom meeting for early next month and send the link by next
week.

I do want to share something with you all. I sit on a Bear Safety Committee
in Bella Coola where we have large grizzly and black bear populations and a
lot of fruit trees. I have been trying to get more support from the other
organizations that sit at the table for our gleaning program and for
training for pruning as there are many overgrown and neglected fruit trees
here.

The WildSafe BC provincial lead is part of the committee. Recommendations
on the WildSafe BC website regarding fruit trees and bears was to pick
fruit early, with no mention of gleaning programs at all. After a series of
emails about the lack of resources on food security, apple trees, and
bears, the coordinator changed the messaging on the website. It now
includes recommendations to use a gleaning program and to donate ripe fruit
to food programs or unripe fruit to livestock producers (we picked a fews
trees last year with very unripe or overripe fruit and we donated them to a
local pig farmer). Also, the wording on picking fruit early says to first
consider e-fencing to let fruit ripen. WildSafe BC would also like a list
of provincial gleaning programs that they can share on their website. Can't
tell you how happy I am with the changes :)

Lastly, I'm on a panel at this year's International Gleaning Symposiu
<https://gleaningorgs.com/international-gleaning-symposium/>m (May 25/26)
as a result of our organization being approached by the Association of
Gleaning Organizations to be on their list. The cost to attend is $75 USD.*
"The Association of Gleaning Organizations* builds the capacity of
organizations recovering fresh fruits and vegetables from farms, gardens,
and backyards across North America." We haven't joined as an organization
but may do that this year.

(e)

--
Elizabeth Howard, RD