[BCFSN] Capitalism for Farmers is Broken

Devon Cooke devon at thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Thu Apr 30 01:56:14 EDT 2020

Hi Gerardo,

You ask some very big questions!  Which I suppose I brought on myself.
I'll do my best to answer where I think I can comment intelligently.
Hopefully there are others who are more knowledgeable on this list who
can jump in as well!

Are capitalism and farming incompatible in BC?

    I think this is too black and white (and I acknowledge that my own
    headline statement has this problem).  I think the problem goes
    deeper than land as well, but land is certainly the crux in BC.

    What I would say is that the profit motive isn't sufficient to
    stimulate investment in farming.  I know some farms that are
    successful businesses, but they are virtually all have motives other
    than profit that keep them going.  I don't think a bottom-line
    approach to farming is viable, and I can tell a story of some
    Toronto investors who lost their shirts trying start "the world's
    biggest wheat farm" on that basis.

    Because the profit motive doesn't work for farming, it's sheer folly
    to expect that "the market" will give us anything resembling a
    secure food system.  I realize this is probably preaching to the
    choir, but I think it's necessary to say, because we live in a world
    where many / most policymakers believe that assumption.

What are the fundamental contradictions?

    Farming is, at its core, a cyclical, ecosystem-oriented activity.
    Farming is intimately concerned with growth, but also deeply aware
    that limitless growth is fundamentally impossible. Growth and decay
    are cyclical; farming takes advantage of this knowledge to produce
    food.  Capitalism is based on the gamble that growth is limitless,
    or at the very least, that decay will not set in before the return
    on investment is realized.  If there are costs involved in achieving
    that growth, they can be externalized.

Can a medium-sized farmer be viable in BC?

    Yes.  I know a couple.  In a couple months I'll be filming with
    Klipper's Organics, with a particular focus on how they have solved
    the land access issue.  They are definitely entrepreneurs, but I
    wouldn't call their approach capitalist — I don't think the two are
    the same thing.  I'll also be looking at their labour issues,
    including temporary workers, which I imagine will be quite a
    delicate situation.

2.5 Quebeckers = 1 Guatemalan

    This was a headline-grabbing statement, but I don't think it's
    particularly true.  The farmer in question was comparing an
    unskilled 19-year old's labour after a few days on the job with a
    veteran 15-year employee.  I'm sure given time and experience,
    Quebeckers would close the gap.

    The real challenge is, as Gerardo noted, the fact that wages are so
    poor that Quebeckers / Canadians aren't going to stick around long
    enough to get 15 years of experience, and our society doesn't value
    the skills or status of manual labour to the degree that it probably
    should.

    I think the real tragedy of Temporary Foreign Workers is that we
    maintain the myth that they are "temporary".  We should be granting
    full citizenship (and definitely full labour rights) to any and all
    that want it.  They are "temporary" because it's assumed that any
    Canadian could do their job, and therefore they aren't worthy of
    being considered "desirable" immigrants with useful skills.  The
    fact that we've been unable to attract full employment within the
    Canadian labour market for decades (and continue to experience
    shortages even importing labour) should make short work of the myth
    that any Canadian can do their job.

    Canada was built on the back of immigrants who were willing to work
    the land.  We threw open our doors to the world to find people to
    farm on the prairies.  There's plenty to be ashamed of in our
    colonial history, but respect for the immigrants and the labour they
    put in to the land is something to be proud of.  We should remember
    and revitalize that history.

The issue of living wages for farmers as well as farm workers is hugely
complex — I've spent the last three years trying to figure out how to
tackle it intelligently.  It's the major theme of my whole project.
It's made more complicated by the fact that farmers are more
self-sufficient than most, and their lifestyles are completely
different.  It's unreasonable to expect that any farmer would live the
same kind of life that most urbanites do, and the kind of lifestyle that
farmers aspire to tends to be different from conventional images of
success.  This changes what success looks like and how wealth is
measured for farmers, and ultimately ends up looking very much like an
issue of class as much as it is one of money.  In our class-blind
society, that's an uncomfortable truth.

On top of that, our entire modern, urban economy is based on making food
cheap.  The less we pay farmers, the wealthier the rest of society
becomes (another class issue).  Because farmers are more able than most
to survive on little money, our economic system is able to squeeze them
financially in ways that simply wouldn't be possible in other professions.

All the best,

Devon Cooke
The Hands that Feed Us
604-321-9706