[BCFSN] Helping farmers and farmers helping me during COVID-19

Devon Cooke devon at thehandsthatfeedus.ca
Wed Apr 8 19:01:27 EDT 2020

I want to share what I hope will be an inspiring response to coping with
the economic fallout of COVID-19.  My clientele dried up almost
overnight — the entertainment industry is definitely *not* an essential
service.

Rather than sitting on my thumbs, I've decided to take action: I'm going
farming.  As in, I'm leaving Vancouver and volunteering my labour for
food and board.  Oh — and I'm finally making the documentary I've been
talking about for years. That's right, /The Hands That Feed Us
<https://www.thehandsthatfeedus.ca/>/ is getting made.

I should introduce myself and my project.  I'm Devon, a filmmaker, and
/The Hands that Feed Us/ is a documentary about how difficult it is for
Canadian farmers to make a living. It varies from year to year, but
between half and two thirds of Canadian farmers have off-farm jobs.  I
find that shocking — how can the people growing our food need a second
job to support their farm work?  I've been researching why the economics
of farming are so punishing for the last few years.  And with COVID-19,
that question has become more critical:  How are farmers going to cope
in a world with closed borders and collapsing international markets?

Filming /The Hands that Feed Us/ means I'll basically be embedding
myself on a farm for the next nine months.  The safest way to film
during a pandemic is to minimize the amount of people and the amount of
travel.  The best way to do that is for me to live and work on the farms
where I'm filming.

How is a city boy like me going to cope with farm life?  There's only
one way to find out…  In all honesty, I'm looking forward to getting my
hands dirty.  I'm sure the real-life experience of doing farm work will
benefit the documentary as well.  I've always been a bit nervous
claiming to speak for farmers when I don't have any farming background.
I guess I'm changing that!

Want to join me on this journey?  I'll be vlogging about what it's like.
I recorded my first vlog a couple days ago
<https://youtu.be/3kgf1k3l9S0>. Follow the YouTube channel
<http://mailer.thehandsthatfeedus.ca/lists/lt.php?tid=LEVaUQIJBwEOWR4PUA8CSVBWVwIfAwcFBhVRAAcHAFcFDABWBwVJVFpZUg9SW1ZJAQMBAx9VAAVXFVkCBQZPVwdbX1cKAg0IC1ECS1MOV1IBWgdXH1AAUwEVVVEBU08DXAFfSwdUUwNeWFdUAFoKAA>
for instant updates.  I'll be sending out regular updates via newsletter
too — sign up here <https://thehandsthatfeedus.ca/join-us/#start>.

My hope is that, by the time COVID-19 subsides, I'll have a documentary
that can shine a light on how our food system changes as it adapts to
COVID-19.  And, I hope that's something the BC Food Network can get behind!

--
All the best,

Devon Cooke
The Hands that Feed Us