[BCFSN] Fwd: Why Canadian Law Should be on the Side of the Wet’suwet’en in the Pipeline Confrontation

Jan Steinman Jan at EcoReality.org
Thu Jan 10 13:49:00 EST 2019

Thank you for sending that, Abra.

I heard a CBC interview with one of the former "Indian Act" (elected) chiefs. I was aghast at how he was all for a pittance of short-term fracked gas jobs over preservation of traditional lands and ways. He quite harshly criticized the hereditary chiefs, which didn't sound very aboriginal to me. Then after the interview, the host noted that Eliss Ross is a Liberal MLA.

The Indian Act is counter to the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and needs to be revoked and replaced. That Act, supported by "apples" like Ross, is why there is even any controversy over this pipeline going over un-ceded indigenous lands.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. Yet, we insist on imposing it on people who managed to govern themselves on this land for some 14,000 years before we got here. Shame.

Jan