[BCFSN] Breaking News from the US: $5M for Farm to School in Funding Bill

JK Bays joanne.k.bays at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:39:06 EDT 2018

Hello all

It is always exciting to see  *good* news coming from our southern
neighbours (Please scroll down)!

On the FARM TO SCHOOL CANADA front you'll be pleased to know...

1) Our National *Farm to School Canada: Digs In Initiative i*s nearing the
$5M mark in investments cash and in kind, and Health Canada is the largest
Contributor, followed by the Whole Kids Foundation

2) We have created several key resources in both official languages -
including a brand new Farm to School Guide for New Brunswick

3) We will host a national *Farm to School CANADA* conference in 2019,
inviting guests across the nation our borders to illuminate and celebrate
the F2S movement in Canada, to inspire additional activity and to come
together on a framework for that action!

4) A large contingent of Canadians will be arriving at the US conference to
showcase and share activities and to invite our southern neighbours to our
conference

5) We are poised to conduct an evaluation of Farm to School programs in 5
provinces

6) An exciting series webinars is planned for the fall to inform and
inspire Farm to School CANADA

7) While a Farm to School Census in Canada may be out of reach, we are
working hard to get our collective work on the radar of policy makers. Food
is having its moment in Canada and we want our policy makers to know that
there is no better investment than putting $$ into programs that put more
healthy local sustainable foods on the plates of everyone working, living,
learning, or being healed in our publicly funded institutions.

To keep abreast of Farm to School developments in Canada subscribe to our
national newsletter, published biannually

All the best

Joanne Bays
National Director Farm to Cafeteria Canada
*Proud to lead the national Farm to School movement*