[BCFSN] COABC 2018 Conference in Abbotsford

COABC Conference Coordinator conference at certifiedorganic.bc.ca
Mon Jan 22 16:37:12 EST 2018

Hi Everyone!

This is Jesse, I'm organizing the COABC Conference this year in
Abbotsford February 23, 24, 25th.  I want to let you know that our Early
Bird Tickets are available now, but only in limited quantity until
January 31st, then the price goes up!

Register Online today to SAVE $$$ at Eventbrite.ca:
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/coabc-2018-conference-tickets-39344641883

This year the COABC is celebrating its 25th anniversary and the
conference will feature not one but two thought-provoking keynote
presenters each exploring the conference theme of Bioregionalism:
Resilience in a Changing Climate.

This event is a chance to visit with the leaders in our organic
community, exchange ideas, eat amazing meals, learn from experts, and
return home inspired by our incredible movement before the season kicks
into high gear. The theme for this year is inspired by the past few
years of extreme weather events and a need to adapt as a community to
the increasing frequency of these events. The diversity of presentations
have been selected to foster effective discussions and provoke progress
towards the organic community’s common goals as environmentally
concerned food producers, entrepreneurs, distributors, citizens, and
leaders.

Friday looks different each year, and this year there are two highly
anticipated guest presenters from 1:30-3:30 pm. We are fortunate to have
Tia Loftsgard, E.D. with the Canadian Organic Trade Association join us
out west to give an update on the State of Organics in Canada. Also,
BC’s own Heather Pritchard, will be speaking about the newly
incorporated BC Foodlands Cooperative.

The official kick-off to the weekend is Friday evening at the conference
reception at 6:30 pm beginning with welcoming remarks and followed by
the first keynote address of the weekend.
Dawn Morrison, who is of Secwepemc ancestry and is the Director of the
Working Group on Indigenous Food Sovereignty will present a keynote
address. She will be speaking on the topic of Sustainable Land and Food
Systems - Indigenous Peoples, Social Justice, and Original Instructions.
Dawn has a rich background in horticulture, ethnobotany, and much more -
go on our website to see her presentation summary!

Also, don't miss the annual Organic Ale Tasting hosted by Crannóg Ales.
This night is the start to a busy weekend that never seems to leave
enough time for visiting, so we hope to see you there to start the
weekend off right!

A few more highlights:

The COABC Trade Show & COABC Seed Swap Saturday all day.

Saturday morning the conference will kick off with Kent Mullinix
presenting as the second Keynote Address generously supported by
Nature’s Path. Food Systems in a changing environmental, economic, and
societal climate: our path to a sustainable food system future. Kent
Mullinix's Bio & summary are on our website - check him out!

Young Agrarians Min-Mixer event saturday evening

Saturday Evening: Our Annual Organic Feast

Sunday COG hosted focus group for those interested or experienced in
Transitioning to Organic

**RSVP on the Facebook Event** to see who is coming and to coordinate
ride shares: https://www.facebook.com/events/134723383871083/

Accommodation at the Hotel can be booked by phone 1-(888)-411-1070

Thanks for your time! Please share this info around to your neighbours,
friends and family, the more the merrier!

JESSE JOHNSTON-HILL

Conference Coordinator

Certified Organic Associations of BC

http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/