[BCFSN] 2019 UBC Farm Practicum in Sustainable Agriculture - Applications Now Open

Seth Friedman sethubc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:38:54 EDT 2018

[image: UBC Farm]

*The 2019 UBC Farm Practicum in Sustainable Agriculture is now accepting
applications!*

The UBC Farm Practicum can be taken as either a six-month (April –
October), or as a four-month (April – August), experiential-learning
program.  The program is part-time (approximately 20 hours per week), and
is designed for aspiring farmers, urban gardeners, environmental educators,
and students with an interest in applying their learning about sustainable
agriculture and food systems. The program is often taken as a non-credit
Certificate program; however,* 6-9 academic credits are available* for
interested students.

Participants gain a deeper understanding of agricultural management and
small-scale farming, and a network of incredible people to support them
along the way.  The main approach to learning within the program is
hands-on practice.  Participants carry out seasonal farming activities with
leadership provided by UBC Farm staff in the greenhouses, gardens, fields,
orchards, and at our farmers’ markets. In addition, the program includes
numerous guest speakers, field trips to various farming operations within
the province, and access to a plot at the UBC Farm for individual and
shared production.The

UBC Farm is a 24-hectare gem, the largest urban farm in Vancouver, British
Columbia, and situated on a site with numerous research, educational, and
community outreach activities.  Please see the  UBC Farm Practicum website
for detailed information:
http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/community/practicum-in-sustainable-agriculture
<http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/students/practicum-in-sustainable-agriculture/>

*All applications received by September 24th will be considered for Early
Admission.  All applications for the Regular Deadline pool are due by
October 29th.*

Please note: To enroll in the Practicum program, you do NOT have to be a
UBC student or post-secondary student.

A *Practicum Open House* will hosted at the beginning of the fall season
before the application deadline.  This year, our Open House at the UBC Farm
will occur on  *September 15th, 12 pm – 2 pm.  *We will provide a forum to
ask questions, meet current practicum students, and receive a tour of the
site.  No registration is needed.  If your schedule permits, we encourage
you to arrive at 12 noon, so you can experience the entire Open House --
but arriving anytime between 12- 2 is acceptable.  Please look for our tent
and table by the entrance to the Farm.

To stay informed of our latest updates regarding UBC Farm Programming
(including the Practicum Program),
<https://www.mail.ubc.ca/owa/seth.friedman@ubc.ca/redir.aspx?C=diEYzm_vVupW7MV-4xnii4owcH-jD2gEYi8Wrk4OjmOpiBb2ygLWCA..&URL=http%3a%2f%2flfs-ubcfarm.sites.olt.ubc.ca%2fget-involved%2fget-involved-2%2fubc-farm-newsletter%2f>please
sign up for our weekly newsletter:
http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/get-involved/get-involved-2/ubc-farm-newsletter/.  If
you miss this year's Open House, we also offer public tours of the Farm
every Saturday at 12 noon (until Oct 27).  Again, no registration is
needed.  Meet at the information booth at our Farmer's Market.