[BCFSN] Media Advisory - Matriarchs to Lead Wild Salmon Caravan

Dawn Morrison dmo6842 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:42:15 EDT 2017

[image: Inline image 1]

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Matriarchs to lead Wild Salmon Caravan

VANCOUVER - The Wild Salmon Caravan will launch its third annual journey
with a Rainbow Parade in Vancouver on Saturday, Oct. 7. The Caravan will
then make several stops as it follows the wild salmon from the Salish Seas
to Secwepemcul'ecw territory. The Caravan will be led this year by Salish
matriarchs from Indigenous communities all along the route from Vancouver
to the Adams River.

The Oct. 7-12 Caravan will honour and celebrate the spirit of wild salmon
with festive parades, ceremonies, traditional feasts and music in Coastal
and Interior Salish communities including Vancouver, Chilliwack, Merritt,
Kamloops and Chase.

The Wild Salmon Caravan is working with Indigenous peoples, local community
groups, food systems networks, artists and environmental health
organizations to bring people together as we follow wild salmon home to the
streams, lakes and rivers where they were born in some of the world's best
salmon spawning grounds.
“Wild salmon are our most important Indigenous food and cultural and
ecological keystone species in the forests, fields and waterways,” says
Secwepemc matriarch Bernice Heather. “We invite everyone to come out in
full colour to show your love and appreciation for wild salmon as we travel
from the Salish Seas to Secwepemcul'ecw - the land where the water flows
from the highest mountains, through the rivers on its way to the ocean.”

-30-

WHERE & WHEN:

Musqueam, Tsleil Waututh, Skwxwừ7mesh Ủxwumixw - Squamish (Vancouver) –
Saturday, Oct. 7

Stờ:lõ -Skwah (Chilliwack) – Sunday, Oct. 8

Nlaka’pamux (Coquihalla, Merritt) – Monday & Tuesday, Oct. 9-10

Secwepemc te Tk’emlups (Kamloops) – Wednesday, Oct.11

Secwepemc te Adams Lake, Neskonlith, Little Shuswap (Chase) – Thursday,
Oct.12

MORE INFORMATION:

*https://wildsalmoncaravan.wordpress.com/
<https://wildsalmoncaravan.wordpress.com/>*

Facebook: Wild Salmon Caravan Twitter: @wildsalmonncaravan

MEDIA CONTACTS:

Eddie Gardner 604.316.2607 and *singingbear at telus.net
<singingbear at telus.net>*

Dawn Morrison - 778.879.5106 and *dmo6842 at gmail.com <dmo6842 at gmail.com>*

A project led by:

Working Group on Indigenous Food Sovereignty
C/O 555 East 55th Avenue
Vancouver, B.C, V5X 1N6
Mobile: 778.879.5106
Email: dmo6842 at gmail.com