[BCFSN] Food and Sustainability Studies Programs + Internship Abroad - extension March 15⁩

salem paulos salem.paulos at gustolab.com
Wed Mar 1 15:57:28 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies for the cross-posting.

Due to a large number of requests, the deadline for applying to our Italy
summer program has been extended to *March 15, 2017*!

We kindly ask you to forward to students and faculty that could potentially
be interested.

*CRITICAL STUDIES ON FOOD FOOD SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABILITY **IN ITALY - **SUMMER
2017**(Academic internship program is available!!!)*

This program was designed and created in collaboration with the University
of Massachusetts Amherst <http://www.gustolab.com/summer-term/> in 2010.
Since 2015, it was also promoted by the University of Illinois at Urbana
Champaign.

*Quick facts*

   - GLi has hosted students from 25 different universities (from four
   different countries) in its open Summer Program entitled ‘Critical Studies
   on Food in Italy’
   - In 2015, the program was selected as one of the top five nominees in
   the GoAbroad Innovation Award category: Innovative New Program - Study
   Abroad
   - In 2015, the Universal Exhibition in Milan gave us its patronage as an
   educational project for the program
   - Two students in the 2014 summer program were announced as Barilla
   Center for Food and Nutrition’s YES! Competition finalists (as part of
   the 10 international finalists) and were flown into Milan from the U.S. to
   present the idea that they developed during the Critical Studies on Food in
   Italy Summer Program at the International Forum of Food and Nutrition
   - Our students can work and collaborate with Italian students thanks to
   an academic collaboration with Università di Roma Tre, Università La
   Sapienza and ISIA Design School
   - Most of our professors and instructors are renowned and awarded
   (starred chefs, awarded journalists, best rated scientist in nutrition,
   awarded sommelier, etc.). In 2014, Dr. Sonia Massari won NAFSA’s Teaching,
   Learning, and Scholarship Knowledge Community’s Innovative Research in
   International Education Award.

*DURATION:* 5-week Full Immersion Program
*WHEN:* May 22, 2017 – June 24, 2017
*WHERE:* ROME, ITALY

*COURSES OFFERED*

   - Critical Studies on Food Culture (3 credits)
   - Food Media, Communication and Trends (3 credits)
   - Food, Nutrition and Culture in Italy (3 credits)
   - Food Waste in Italy (3 credits) *
   - Italian Language for Food and Business (Italian Lexicon for Food Studies)
   (3 credits)
   - Elementary Italian Language (3 credits)
   - Intensive Elementary Italian Language (6 credits, minimum of 8
   participants)

* NEW! Food Waste in Italy CourseA new course ‘Food waste in Italy’ has
been added to the 2017 Critical Studies on Food in Italy program
<http://gustolab.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c939ac1194fad9a552b58336&id=2ee074f6de&e=e9a44c6a9f>.
This course will be taught in partnership with the University of
Massachusetts Amherst.

*This year, we are also expanding this program to **Vietnam and Japan*
<https://www.gustolab.com/summer-programs-in-vietnam-italy-japan/>.

*CRITICAL STUDIES ON FOOD SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABILITY **IN JAPAN - **SUMMER
2017*

*DURATION:* 4-week Full Immersion Program
*WHEN:* July 2 – July 30, 2017
*WHERE: *Osaka, Japan

*COURSES OFFERED*

   - Critical Studies on Japanese Food Culture (3 credits)
   - Food Choice and Politics in Japan (3 credits)

*CRITICAL STUDIES ON FOOD SYSTEMS AND SUSTAINABILITY **IN VIETNAM - **SUMMER
2017*

*DURATION:* 4-week Full Immersion Program
*WHEN:* May 21 – June 18, 2017
*WHERE:* Vietnam

*COURSES OFFERED*

   - Food Systems in Vietnam (3 credits)
   - Vietnam, Conflict, Contradiction and Change (3 credits)
   - Vietnamese Language for Food and Business (up to 3 credits)

Applications open for Gustolab International programs in Italy (Rome, South
and North Italy)
Our open enrollment programs are available to students from all
universities.

   - Spring
   <http://gustolab.us14.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c939ac1194fad9a552b58336&id=f4ccc27b50&e=e9a44c6a9f>
   - Summer
   <http://gustolab.us14.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2c939ac1194fad9a552b58336&id=4270c2424a&e=e9a44c6a9f>
   - Fall
   <http://gustolab.us14.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2c939ac1194fad9a552b58336&id=3e1012ff74&e=e9a44c6a9f>
   - Internship
   <http://gustolab.us14.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2c939ac1194fad9a552b58336&id=b5bba28676&e=e9a44c6a9f>
(
   we have several positions available!)

Applications and information at  <info at gustolab.com>info at gustolab.c
Thank you,
Salem

[image: GLI Gustolab International] <http://www.gustolab.com>

SALEM PAULOS
Assistant to the Director

salem.paulos at gustolab.com

130, via Giulia
Rome, Italy 00186
Office phone +39 06 83087975 / +39 06 68804073
Fax +39 06 92912046
www.gustolab.com
facebook <https://www.facebook.com/GustolabInstitute> twitter
<https://twitter.com/gustolabinst> instagram