[BCFSN] Last chance to register: health and regulation in the age of processed food

Mara Brotman mara at cfccanada.ca
Mon Nov 28 11:14:59 EST 2016

Hi all, we hope that you'll join us tomorrow for an exciting new webinar!

The carrot and the stick: Health and regulation in the age of processed food

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:00 - 1:00:00 PM EST

REGISTER HERE
<https://events-na11.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/1335630601/en/events/event/shared/1343712834/event_landing.html?sco-id=1558053302&_charset_=utf-8>

Right now, government regulators and civil society organizations are
battling with the processed food industry to create a better food
environment for Canadians. There is an urgency to address how corporate
interests are impacting public health, however how to achieve this is
highly contested. As advocates, where should we be pushing hardest? For
consumers, how do we navigate “choice” in an environment that’s stacked
against us?

Dr. Yoni Freedhoff <http://www.weightymatters.ca/>, nutrition watchdog and
outspoken obesity expert, is our guest for this one-hour webinar exploring
how policy can best be applied to encourage healthier eating and better
health. We’ll look at examples of progress made in changing corporate
policies and behaviour. Dr. Freedhoff will discuss case studies, from North
America and around the world, of success and failure: from taxes to
subsidies, incentives, marketing regulations, product legislation, and
consumer-directed mechanisms like labeling and nutrition guidelines. The
webinar is moderated by Kathryn Scharf, Chief Operating Officer of
Community Food Centres Canada.

When: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12 - 1 p.m. Eastern
Where: Your computer
How much: Free!

REGISTER HERE
<https://events-na11.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/1335630601/en/events/event/shared/1343712834/event_landing.html?sco-id=1558053302&_charset_=utf-8>
<https://events-na11.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/1335630601/en/events/event/shared/1343712834/event_landing.html?sco-id=1558053302&_charset_=utf-8>
<https://events-na11.adobeconnect.com/content/connect/c1/1335630601/en/events/event/shared/1343712834/event_landing.html?sco-id=1558053302&_charset_=utf-8>

Can't attend? As with all our webinars, this one will be posted to The Pod
Knowledge Exchange <http://thepod.cfccanada.ca/> along with a host of
downloadable resources a week or so after the event. Visit The Pod to stay
in the loop about this webinar and others yet to come.

About our guest:
Yoni Freedhoff, MD, is an assistant professor of family medicine at the
University of Ottawa, where he's the founder and medical director of the
Bariatric Medical Institute — a multi-disciplinary, ethical, evidence-based
nutrition and weight management centre since 2004. Dr. Freedhoff sounds off
daily on his award-winning blog, Weighty Matters, and on Twitter. Dr.
Freedhoff's latest book, a national bestseller, is The Diet Fix: Why Diets
Fail and How to Make Yours Work.

*Mara Brotman*
Knowledge Exchange Coordinator
Community Food Centres Canada
80 Ward St., suite 100 | Toronto ON | M6H 4A6
416-531-8826 ext. 263 | www.cfccanada.ca
Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Community-Food-Centres-Canada/331468530262542>
 | Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/aplaceforfood> | Instagram