[BCFSN] Gathering deadline TOMORROW and special events teaser

Abra Brynne abra at bcfsn.org
Wed Jul 6 16:53:30 EDT 2016

Hello all,
a final reminder that the deadline for registering for the 18th annual BC
Food Systems Network Gathering is end of the day TOMORROW!  Register here
<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bcfsn-annual-gathering-july-15-17-2016-tickets-19364150696>
.

This year's Gathering will feature some special and extra events. These
include, friday July 15th at 8PM,  a *Celebration of Life* of Secwepemc
Elder, Wolverine
<http://aptn.ca/news/2016/03/23/secwepemc-elder-wolverine-ignace-84-died-tuesday-surrounded-by-family-on-home-territory/>,
and BCFSN Founder, Cathleen Kneen
<https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/obituary-cathleen-kneen-jamie-kneen>, both
of whom passed away earlier this year.

Saturday morning we will have four *Field Trips* available for registered
participants. Participants in the program are able to choose what tour they
want to go on featuring some of the freshest foods, luscious wines and
unique craft distilleries in the region.  From the Okanagan Nation's salmon
hatchery to the award winning Penticton farmers market you can learn the
how and where of where your food comes from. The tours will also feature a
rare chance to walk on the lands of ECOmmunity place and learn firsthand
from elder Richard Armstrong the histories and culture of the Sylix people
and their continued fight to preserve their lands and knowledge as the
original keepers of this beautiful land.  Whatever tour you choose you are
guaranteed to take home an experience of a lifetime.

And saturday evening, Gathering participants are invited to join a Pow Wow
being held on the Penticton Indian Band Reserve, the same site as the
Gathering. For a toonie donation, Gathering participants will be able to
experience an important and vibrant cultural revival. (For background on
the local Pow Wow, see here)
<http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/375785891.html?mobile=true>.

*So come join us in Penticton on Syilx Territory*. Register TODAY!
<https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/bcfsn-annual-gathering-july-15-17-2016-tickets-19364150696>
in good food,
Abra

Abra Brynne
Director, Engagement & Policy
BC Food Systems Network
abra at bcfsn.org
Ph: 250.352.5342 // mobile: 250.777.2480
Skype: abra.brynne
www.bcfsn.org

Please support our work <http://bcfsn.org/donate/>.

"Rather than concentrating on what sort of food is healthy for the
individual person, we must think about what kind of production system is
healthy for the globe. Acting in the context of this vision of a different
kind of food system, we will gain the freedom - and the power - to force
change for some measure of justice in this one." Cathleen Kneen, 1987