[BCFSN] Fwd: APPLY NOW - 2016 UBC Farm Practicum in Sustainable Agriculture

Seth Friedman sethubc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 20:28:54 EDT 2015

We may also be inspired this news from Sacramento (via the NYC Center for
Active Design):
http://centerforactivedesign.org/sacramentourbanag

INNOVATIVE POLICY EMPOWERS CITIZENS TO IMPROVE HEALTH

Earlier this year, the Sacramento City Council passed two urban farm
ordinances that allow city residents to grow and sell food directly from
their properties, and receive tax incentives for doing so—a decision that
set a momentous precedent for legitimizing and encouraging urban
agriculture as a land use in cities. While this policy change is largely a
local version of California’s 2014 Urban Agriculture Incentive Zones Act
(AB551), it was also driven by Sacramento’s pressing need to reduce urban
blight and improve access to healthy food for those lacking. These
ordinances reveal a growing understanding of the capacity for urban
agriculture to mitigate health issues and engender wider community
development in our neighborhoods.
--
*Karen Rideout*
604-306-3571 (mobile)
klrideout at gmail.com
*And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet *
*and the winds long to play with your hair*
-- Kahlil Gibran

Please excuse typos or strange words as I get used to using voice dictation
:)