[BCFSN] Realtors advocating for removal of farmland

Pamela Zevit Adamah Consultants adamah at telus.net
Sat May 30 16:13:07 EDT 2015

Hello all,

Thanks to all of you that have expressed concern and a desire to take
action related to dismissal of Richard Bullock as Chair and CEO of the
Agricultural Land Commission.

A few members of the BCFSN Steering Committee and other partners were able
to have a call yesterday to discuss a few potential responses, and I wanted
to follow up with a few next steps.

First off, for those of you who haven't yet I would encourage you all to
sign the virtual Thank You card <http://you.leadnow.ca/p/bullock> for
Richard, thanking him for his tireless work in protecting agricultural land
in BC. Thanks to Jim Wright from Richmond's Garden City Conservation for
creating the card and continuing to encourage others to show their
appreciation this way. See here
<https://gardencitylands.wordpress.com/2015/05/19/saga/> for Jim's analysis
of the situation on their blog. This is a quick and easy step for us all to
give a show of support to Richard, who I am sure could use the
encouragement in spite of all that has happened in the last week. Here is a
note from Jacqueline, his wife in response to receiving earlier versions
for the card: "Richard and I would like to thank you for the support to him
that you are showing in this travesty of a government decision. He has read
the comments and has read through the list of persons signing the thank you
card. He asks me many times to look up the postal code so he knows where
they are from. He finds it very humbling and amazing that people would take
time to sign and/or comment. He was proud to lead the ALC, and to read the
people’s comments brings him to tears. We thank you again and want you to
know that our lifelong love of agriculture, the people involved and the
land will not change."

Secondly, I would strongly encourage as many of you as are able to attend
the Annual Gathering <http://bcfsn.org/2015-gathering/> taking place from
June 25-28 in Prince George. The Gathering is such an important part of how
the Network functions, so I would always encourage you to attend, but
especially at this critical time it will be an important opportunity to get
deeper into these and broad interconnected issues related foodland
protection and enhancement.

We will continue to monitor the situation and work with Network members and
partners to explore how we can effectively raise our voice, individually
and collectively, in the months ahead. As other opportunities for response
arise we will follow up with further emails.

For those that want to stay on top of the media on this issue as it unfolds
please be sure to check out the ALR Watch Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/alrwatch>, which we will do our best to keep up
to date.

In good food,
Brent

Brent Mansfield
Director, BC Food Systems Network
director at bcfsn.org
604-837-7667

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Brent Mansfield <director at bcfsn.org> wrote:

> Hi Carol, John and all,
>
> Thanks for your concern amidst the new layer of what has unfolded in the
> last week. It is indeed very disconcerting.
>
> A few members of the Steering Committee and others will be meeting early
> this week to discuss potential responses, including suggestions for Network
> members and partners and opportunities to integrate this further into the
> Gathering in Prince George in June. We will follow up after that.
>
> Brent
>

> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 11:02 PM, John McLeod <johnwmac at telus.net> wrote:
>
>> Can and will the BCFSN members organize marches in Victoria and all
>> Liberal MLAs offices throughout the province ? Can and will this be front
>> and centre at the Prince George gathering ?
>> The media have been very noticeable in the lack of any in depth
>> reporting, hmmm kinda curious don’t ya think ?
>>
>> United we stand…….or as Mr. Steiner says “ take real interest in the
>> world "
>>
>> John McLeod
>> 250 832 7518
>>

>> On May 15, 2015, at 10:16 AM, Carol Kergan <carol.kergan at alumni.ubc.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Wondering is there are any suggestions as to an action that can be
>> supportive to him in Kelowna since both he and Norm Letnick are here???This
>> is sick and I am very saddened by our BC Liberals yet again...
>>

>> Carol Kergan
>>
>> *"To truly know the world, look deeply within your own being; to truly
>> know yourself, take real interest in the world." (Rudolf Steiner)*
>>
>> On 15 May 2015 at 09:46, linda geggie <lgeggie at telus.net> wrote:
>>
>>> does anyone have a link to be able to listen to the interview they can
>>> share?
>>> Thanks