[BCFSN] Fwd: DFO Occupation at Pacific Region Office, Solidarity Statement with Heiltsuk Nation audio

Dawn Morrison dmo6842 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 17:24:43 EDT 2015

Dear all,

Starting on Tuesday as part of Farmworker Awareness Week
<http://saf-unite.org/farmworkerawareness> (March 24-31, 2015), Sustain
Ontario is publishing a new blog series: *Know Farm Workers, Know Food:
Sustaining Ontario Migrant Labour Livelihoods.*

This series explores ways to promote healthy and flourishing livelihoods
with migrant farm workers. Although it focuses mainly on the Ontario
context, many of the themes it considers are directly pertinent to BC. We'd
be very happy to hear BCFSN members' thoughts on the articles!
sustainontario.com.

In health,
Anelyse

*Background to the "Know Farm Workers, Know Food" blog series:*
Sustain Ontario’s mission is to support food systems in Ontario that are
“healthy, equitable, ecological and financially viable through
collaborative action.” We recognize, however, that important gaps exist in
improving equitability and financial viability for both farmers and hired
farm workers, particularly in the case of migrant farm workers. The series
forms part of a service-learning research partnership between Sustain
Ontario and the University Toronto that explores how the food movement can
collaborate in advancing good jobs for all throughout the food system.

Migrant farm labour is a complex and sometimes-polarizing issue; with that
in mind, over the past six months we have been listening to individuals and
organizations that are connected with migrant farm workers in diverse ways,
and that bring a range of perspectives on farm labour concerns. These have
including farmers, farm industry, government, farm worker advocacy groups,
unions, academics, health service providers, and farm workers themselves.
We wanted to learn about what they are doing, their challenges, and their
ideas for actionable ways to advance equitability across the food system,
including eaters, farmers and farm workers.

We invite all readers to participate in this ongoing conversation. You can
comment on the blog post series, on Sustain Ontario’s Facebook page, tweet
@SustainOntario, or email anelyse.weiler at mail.utoronto.ca​. Feel free to
use the hashtags #KnowFarmers and #NFAW2015. Each blog post will include a
survey link for readers to indicate actions they think Sustain Ontario
should prioritize for advancing healthier and more equitable livelihoods
with migrant farm workers.