[BCFSN] Fwd: Urban Chickens in BC

Cathryn Wellner cjwellner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 14:55:20 EDT 2015

Follow us on Facebook [1] and Twitter [2]

FOOD WEBINARS AND TELECONFERENCES

MARCH 2015

The following list of national food events - webinars and teleconferences -
are offered by a host of different organizations from across Canada.

If you are a member of Food Secure Canada and would like to include your
events in this mailing, please post them on our Food Calendar [3]. It's
easy!

If someone forwarded this email to you, sign up to receive this monthly
webinar email [4] and FSC's newsletter [5] directly.

Peruse and watch recordings of previous FSC webinars [6]

HEALTHY CORNER STORE INITIATIVES

_Hosted by:_ Sustain Ontario [7]

WEDNESDAY MARCH 4 FROM 2:00 PM TO 3:30 PM

Join the Food Access Peer Learning Circle for a webinar to hear from public
health practitioners and policy analysts, in a discussion of various pilot
projects and public policy initiatives working to increase access to
healthy foods through one of the most ubiquitous grocery environments:
corner stores. While part of this conversation is about access to better
labeling and nutrition education in retail outlets, the larger issue of
access - the where and how people are accessing fresh and healthy foods -
is at the crux of the food access conversation. This webinar will explore
both projects and policies that support corner stores in stocking more
healthy products - especially fresh fruits and vegetables - through layout
redesign and infrastructure adjustments.

Sign up here [8]

FOOD ACCESS: COMMUNITY GARDEN ACCESSIBILITY

_Hosted by:_ Sustain Ontario [7]

WEDNESDAY MARCH 11 FROM 2:00 PM TO 3:30 PM

Join us for a discussion on the work being done to improve the
inclusiveness and accessibility of community gardens and how community
gardens can comply with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities
Act (AODA). The presentations in this webinar will both give an overview
and details of the AODA legislation as well as the experience of community
gardens that have undergone successful accessibility projects. Sign up here
[9]

THE FOOD SECURITY CRISIS IN THE NORTH - WHAT NEXT?

_Hosted by: _Food Secure Canada [10]

THURSDAY MARCH 19 FROM 2:00 PM

As most residents living in Northern Canada will tell you, Nutrition North
(the only federal program to counter the high costs of food in the North)
is falling short. This was confirmed in November 2014 by the Office of the
Auditor General in its highly anticipated report. The findings were dismal
yet predictable: on all accounts Nutrition North had failed in the
alleviation of food insecurity in northern Canada. Criticism and action are
growing across the North. Feeding My Family [11], the Nunavut Food Security
Coalition's Nunavut Food Security Strategy [12], and the APTN's Wasting
Away documentary have all brought this critical topic to the national
stage. The question remains - what next? What will it take to finally make
staggering food insecurity in Northern Canada a priority for the federal
government? During this national webinar we will hear from key leaders in
the North about their vision for moving this urgent issue forward in the
upcoming election year, and hear how our members can support this important
work.

Sign up here [13]

A WEBINAR SERIES ON SCHOOL FOOD PROGRAMS IN CANADA

_Hosted by: _Food Secure Canada [10]

THURSDAY APRIL 2 FROM 12:00 TO 13:00 PM

_Close to Universal: Healthy School Food Programs in Nova Scotia and
Newfoundland and Labrador_. We are launching a webinar series to showcase
models of School Food Programs that are closest to a universal reach in
order to raise the public profile of successful school food programs. For
the first webinar, we'll showcase school Food Program models in Nova Scotia
and in Newfoundland and Labrador. The presentation will include a
discussion facilitated by Dr. Mary McKenna, professor at the University of
New Brunswick (UNB) in Fredericton.

Sign up here [14]

 Food Secure Canada - Réseau pour une alimentation durable

 info at foodsecurecanada.org 3720 avenue du Parc, suite 201
Montréal, QC H2X 2J1
Canada
 foodsecurecanada.org
 alimentationdurable.ca

 To unsubscribe / Pour vous désabonner
 http://foodsecurecanada.org/civicrm/mailing/unsubscribe?reset=1&jid=3764&qid=427616&h=1cfc569e871686e8

 To opt-out of all future mailings / Pour ne plus recevoir de courriels
 http://foodsecurecanada.org/civicrm/mailing/optout?reset=1&jid=3764&qid=427616&h=1cfc569e871686e8

Links:
------
[1] http://foodsecurecanada.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=7427&qid=427616