[BCFSN] National New Farmer Survey Follow-up / Suivi du sondage sur la relève agricole

Virginie Lavallée-Picard newfarmercoalition at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 15:56:33 EDT 2015

Hello all,

Please see below and attached for a news release that I just sent out to
our media list in response to the recently announced changes to regulations
under the Agricultural Land Commission Act, as well as what has unfolded
over the past two years.

Thanks to the Foodlands Working Group, and particularly Kathleen Gibson,
for helping to pull this together.

I will look forward to conversations related to this, among many other
things, with many of you at the Annual Gathering later this week.

Cheers,
Brent

Brent Mansfield
Director, BC Food Systems Network
director at bcfsn.org
604-837-7667

Consider supporting our work <http://bcfsn.org/donate/>

*----------------------NEWS RELEASE*

*For immediate release  BC Food Systems Network cautious about new farmland
regulations*

Vancouver, June 23, 2015 - “We’ve been waiting to exhale,” says Brent
Mansfield, Director of the BC Food Systems Network, which represents
hundreds of food growers and food security advocates around BC. He is
referring to the recently announced changes to regulations under the
Agricultural Land Commission Act, which have been pending for nine months.

The Act itself went through significant change in May 2014, over widespread
public opposition.  The Agricultural Land Reserve (ALR) was divided into
two zones and changes were made to the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC)’s
decision making criteria and structure: six regional panels replaced a
single provincial Commission.

Then, in July and August 2014, the provincial government consulted with
selected stakeholders on about 11 proposed regulatory changes related to
activities that could be allowed on farmland without involvement of the
ALC.  “We were very concerned about some of the government’s proposals
which would have opened up ALR land to significant abuse, bypassing the
ALC,” says Mansfield.  “We are relieved that the most threatening proposals
were not adopted and that the Minister heeded concerns raised by
stakeholders.”

The new regulations encourage value-adding activities by co-ops and apply
the same rules as wineries to breweries, distilleries and meaderies.  They
will allow landowners to lease portions of their land for agricultural
production, and in Zone 2 they introduce, with conditions, life-term leases
for retiring farmers, and second single-family dwellings for family or
rental income.

Mansfield goes on, “we recognize several of these provisions as good ideas
in principle.  However we have some outstanding concerns about the leasing
options and the second dwelling option, since there will be no supervision
from the ALC.  We question how and by whom the regulatory conditions will
be applied.  Could all these provisions apply on one property? If so, how
many residences will be possible on a farm? How will impacts on farming be
monitored? Will there be any follow-up if there are problems?

“Overall,” says Mansfield “especially given the changes to the Act, we
remain very concerned about the direction in which BC farmland protection
policy is going.  Six regional panels are more susceptible than a single
Commission to local development pressures.  The two zones and additional
decision-making criteria all point to a loosening of oversight and
protection of BC’s farmland.  The issue of enforcement has not been
re-visited.

Finally, the abrupt firing in May of ALC Chair Richard Bullock, six months
before the end of his term, increases our unease.  Mr Bullock followed the
ALC’s mandate and did the job expected of him by the public – protecting
farmland with a view to BC’s future farmland and food needs.  We will have
to wait and see how the legislative and regulatory changes to the ALC play
out.”

Trust of farmers and protection of farmland for farming are values esteemed
highly by BC citizens, as shown in a September 2014 public opinion poll
<http://www.refbc.com/news/bc-public-opinion-study-shows-strong-support-local-farmland#.VYlkFmCWpqt>issued
by the Real Estate Foundation and Vancouver Foundation.  Farming, growing
food and natural freshwater systems rated top priority for land use; loss
or development of farmland as top agricultural issue; and reliance on BC
food as top food concern.  A full 95% of respondents support or strongly
support the ALR to preserve BC’s farmland.

END

For more information, contact:

Brent Mansfield, Director, BC Food Systems Network: director at bcfsn.org,
604-837-7667 (unavailable from 3pm on Wednesday, June 23 through Sunday,
June 28 while attending BC Food Systems Network 17th Annual Gathering
outside Prince George)

Arzeena Hamir, farmer and BC Food Systems Network member: 250-702-5657

Ione Smith, BC Food Systems Network member: 778-999-2149