[BCFSN] Price per pound for rhubarb?

seflett at telus.net seflett at telus.net
Fri Jul 10 14:34:14 EDT 2015

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the Trade, Investment, and Labour Mobility Agreement (TILMA) that Alberta and BC signed precludes any subsidy or favouring of "local" products. In particular, the bullet point "To provide an increased and stable demand for local food through public sector organization purchasing" appears to be in direct violation of TILMA.

This agreement was signed by the premiers of the two provinces with no legislative review. Disputes are decided by a special panel of "industry experts" that are exclusively business leaders. Decisions are not subject to court review.

We have to do away with oppressive trade agreements, too. Or else one disgruntled ag producer could bring a dispute to the panel that would result in $15 million in penalties against the offending province, with no public input nor court or legislative review.

On 2015-07-06, at 09:00, food-request at bcfsn.org wrote:

> From: Abra Brynne <abra at peelingtheonion.ca>
> Subject: [BCFSN] Fwd: Local Food Act introduced at first sitting of new govt in Alberta
> Date: 6 July 2015 08:53:20 PDT
> To: BC Food Systems Network <food at bcfsn.org>
>

> Hello all,
> please see below for a wonderful news piece about Alberta's food policy, thanks to Carolyn Young of Sustain Ontario.
> in good food,
> Abra
>
> --
> Abra Brynne
> PO Box 684, Nelson, BC V1L 5R4
> phone: 250.352.5342

:::: Current farmers, who have become mere operators of machines and mixers of chemicals, may not have the skills to develop a local, sustainable agriculture. A new generation of farmers, numbering in the tens of millions, will need to be trained and relocated to rural communities. -- Pat Murphy