[BCFSN] Legislative Agriculture Committee Update

Jim Wright jamesw8300 at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 30 14:04:39 EST 2015

Adding MLA Vicki Huntington as vice chair is a great step for the
committee¹s credibility and effectiveness.

When the committee was unveiled a week ago, I urged that step in a Garden
City Conservation blog article, ³New agri-food committee would best be
unpartisan,² http://wp.me/p97QM-2OJ <http://wp.me/p97QM-2OJ> , and emailed
about it to New Democrat MLAs Lana Popham and Nicholas Simons and also to
MLA Vicki Huntington (Independent ) and MLA Andrew Weaver (Green).

Nicholas replied to say they¹d been discussing [non-NDP membership] and ³it
would just be a matter of time.² Lana followed up by phone, explaining how
she would talk about it with Andrew but could add just one independent,
Vicki, as a committee member. (Naturally, Lana asked that I not publicize it
before the intended media release.)

To me a key quality is the inclusive and consultative approach. Lana and
Nicholas may have been completely putting themselves in the shoes of their
colleagues and the community all along, or they may be adjusting a little
with my input, which went further in the phone discussion. It doesn¹t matter
which.

Either way, the inclusive/consultative mindset seems to be exemplary. In
intent, the plan of action that Lana enthusiastically described promises to
be at a similar level.

It¹s so nice to be able to acknowledge politicians who are acting so well
for the agriculture/food future of British Columbians.

Jim Wright
Garden City Conservation Society, Richmond
Bcc: MLA Nicholas Simons, MLA Vicki Huntington, MLA Andrew Weaver, Garden
City Conservation directors

On 2015-01-29, 3:17 PM, "Popham.MLA, Lana" <Lana.Popham.MLA at leg.bc.ca>