[BCFSN] From: Joanne Bays

Joanne Bays joannebays at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 10:40:17 EDT 2014

Some news from the folks working on the Site C damn that was recently given its environmental certificate.  This project will flood valuable farmland in the Peace River.

> Dear Friends,
> You may have heard the news that both the Federal and Provincial Governments have given an environmental certificate for Site C Dam. This is not the news we had hoped to hear though it was not totally unexpected. However the fight is not yet over and your voice is needed now more than ever.
>
> Please review this latest E-alert from the Stop Site C Campaign and send a letter to Minister Bill Bennett demanding an independent, public assessment of this project not a decision made behind closed doors.
>
> Don’t let them flood this beautiful valley for power we don’t need. Make your voice heard!
> Please share this email and help BC win this battle. Thank you kindly for your support.
> Lynn
>
> 	Dear Friend,
> As you have likely heard, the federal and provincial governments have approved the issuance of the environmental assessment certificate for the  Site C dam in northeastern BC.
>
> But, this is not the FINAL decision!
>
> The BC cabinet has yet to determine whether this project should proceed and plans to make that decision in November.
>
> So, hang in there with us – this battle is far from over!
>
> Energy Minister Bill Bennett has said that cabinet has yet to make an ‘investment’ decision on Site C.  At this time, the government is having the $7.9 billion price tag assessed and are considering reports from alternative energy associations who say they can provide energy
> for BC’s future with far less devastation and for less money.
>
> Additionally, the government realizes that impacted First Nations in the Peace area are staunchly opposed to the project.  According to the Joint Review Panel, the dam would cause ‘significant’ and ‘unmitigable’ harm to area First Nations’ ability to carry out their treaty and aboriginal rights.
>
> We’re not finished yet! There is still time to stop this devastating project!
>
> You can help!  We need as many British Columbians as possible to flood Minister Bennett’s office with letters, emails and tweets telling him that not only is this dam a bad investment decision for BC, but the government does not have the social license to proceed!
> They are answerable to us, the citizens, and WE DON’T WANT SITE C!
>
> A few points to consider adding to your correspondence:
>
> There are many better alternatives.  The Joint Review Panel and the BCUC have both suggested that BC Hydro seriously consider the tremendous and less expensive geothermal option.
> Alternative energy sources can be built on an as-needed, incremental basis so that we don’t end up with the huge surplus of power that would accompany Site C.  (BC Hydro admits that Site C will lose $800 million in the first 4 years of operation!)
> Alternative energy sources can provide jobs where they are needed and many more jobs than Site C.  (Once Site C is operational, it will only provide 25 full-time jobs.)
> [...]

Linda Geggie
250-896-7004

Coordinator
CRFAIR
Capital Region Food and Agriculture Initiatives Roundtable

 For general info and to subscribe to the
newsletter:   admin at communitycouncil.ca.

Follow us on twitter

Follow us on facebook