[BCFSN] Site C Damn

linda geggie lgeggie at telus.net
Fri Oct 17 11:42:13 EDT 2014

BITS AND BYTES  OCTOBER 2014

NEWS FROM THE FOOD MOVEMENT

OCTOBER 16TH: WORLD FOOD DAY

Check out the map [4] of Food events being held accross Canada for
#WDF2014. If you have not yet registered your activities, you still have 2
days to do it....

2014 is the International Year of Family farming and FSC is pleased to
highlight this cause as we have taken a stand on the importance of
supporting Canadian family farmers. FSC hopes that this day will emphasize
the need to address the issues facing family farms across Canada.

Read FSC press release [5]

 OCTOBER 21ST - FSC'S 8th NATIONAL ASSEMBLY:
 DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION

More than 220 people have already registered for our 8th National Assembly
[6], _Waves of Change: Sustainable Food for All. _This amazing event, held
only once every two years, will gather leaders, activists and passionate
people from across the Canadian Food movement. You don't want to miss this!
Some tickets are still available [6]. (DEADLINE OCT. 21ST)

If you want to be part of the Exhibitor Showcase located in the central
room of the Assembly site, a few tables are still available here [7].

You can also promote your activities to participants by purchasing an ad in
the program here [8].

The ACORN conference will be held just before _Waves of Change_ in the same
location. Some tickets are also available [9]

FOOD SECURE CANADA ON THE HILL

Although the business of the House of Commons last week was the emergency
debate on the war in Iraq, several MPs took time out of their busy
schedules to meet with a delegation from Food Secure Canada on October 6.

Our group, assembled following an invitation to meet with a group of
Liberal MPs, included Diana Bronson (FSC), Susan Walsh (USC Canada), Paul
Slomp (National Farmers Union) and Debbie Field (FoodShare).

More details here [10]

STANDING COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE HEARINGS ON BILL C-18

FSC will testify before the Standing Committee on Agriculture on October
23rd on the topic of Bill C-18, the Agricultural Growth Act. Another
omnibus Bill, FSC submitted a letter to Minister Ritz [11] earlier this
year, expressing concerns about some aspects of the Bill. We welcome this
opportunity to present to this all-party Committee and elaborate upon our
concerns and our commitment to Canadian family farms and food sovereignty.
For more on the Bill, please see this Brief [12] provided by the National
Farmers Union.

 FSC WELCOMES JOSEPH LEBLANC TO THE TEAM AS WE KICK OFF _PAYING FOR
NUTRITION_

We are excited to announce that FSC has hired Dr. Joseph LeBlanc as
part-time project coordinator of _Paying for Nutrition_, the newest project
of the Northern and Remote Food Network. Joseph has been involved in this
network for a number of years and has been working on Indigenous food
sovereignty issues in Northern Ontario for the past decade.

Read more [13]

“SEEDING LIFE: BREAKING GROUND FOR FOOD JUSTICE”

_Seeding Life _is a three year (2014-2016) United Church of Canada campaign
focusing on three messages.

 	* Together we can honour food as a sacred gift from the Creator and part
of the global commons.
 	* We can create new food systems, founded on principles of food
sovereignty, in which food is produced, distributed and consumed in ways
that respect Earth and its ecosystems.
 	* And we can build a world of food justice that can have a life-enhancing
impact on our families, communities, and Earth itself.

Year One is focused on a "Food Week of Action" (October 12-19). For a list
of resources, click here [14].

FSC IN THE NEWS

-------------------------

-------------------------

> TEDXCONCORDIA
>
> Coming Up With a Canadian Food Policy
>
> _Tuesday, Sept. 16 2014_
>
> _Watch and share [3]_

UPCOMING EVENTS

THE FEAST WORLDWIDE

October 18, 7PM - 10PM

Hosted by The Feast Worldwide North Vancouver.

PRO SEED FREEDOM PARTY, MARCH AGAINST MONSANTO CALGARY

October 18, 12PM

RESTAURANTS FOR CHANGE

October 22, all day

Hosted by Community Food Centres Canada

LEADERS IN CONSERVATION: BOTANICAL GARDENS AND BIODIVERSITY IN THE 21ST
CENTURY

October 23-25, all day

Hosted by Concordia University in Montreal

LOCAL SUSTAINABLE FOOD COLLABORATION WORKSHOP IN TORONTO

November 5, 8.30AM

Hosted by Centre for Urban Ecology, Humber College North Toronto

See full events calendar

Credit photos:

Top Photo Credit: EllenM1 Flickr [15]
 Parisienne carrots, photo by Susy Morris [16]
 Wheat (or barley) seed head, Michigan, photo by Martin LaBar [17]

 Food Secure Canada

 info at foodsecurecanada.org 3720 avenue du Parc, suite 201
Montréal, QC H2X 2J1
Canada