[BCFSN] Fwd: Nov. 30 Vancouver Urban Farming Forum Keynote by Curtis Stone - *Please Share*

Zsuzsi Fodor zsuzsi.s.fodor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:56:42 EST 2014

**My apologies for any cross-posting - Please share far and wide!***

Hello all,

The Vancouver Urban Farming Society (VUFS) is delighted to announce our 5th
Annual Vancouver Urban Farming Forum, AGM & Social on *November 30 *at
the Croatian
Cultural Centre <http://www.croatiancentre.com/home>. The annual forum is
an opportunity for urban farmers from across the region, policymakers, food
security advocates, urban agriculture enthusiasts, members of the public,
and all others with an interest and involvement in urban farming to come
together. Our program for the day will include a keynote address by Curtis
Stone of Kelowna’s Green City Acres
<http://www.urbanfarmers.ca/vancouver-urban-farming-forum-keynote-announcement/>
and
diversity of workshops, presentations, and panels on urban farming related
topics. Workshops are being finalized and will be posted as they are
confirmed. Some of the topics you can expect so far include seed saving for
urban farmers, urban farm aesthetics, urban farm soils, business planning
for urban farmers, and lessons learned by urban farmers.

*5th Annual Vancouver Urban Farming Forum: Keynote by Curtis Stone*
*November 30, 2014 *
Forum 9 AM - 5 PM
Vancouver Urban Farming Society AGM 5 - 6:30 PM
Social 6:30 - 9 PM

*For more about the forum and to register>>*
<http://www.urbanfarmers.ca/2014-vancouver-urban-farming-forum-agm-social-registration-open/>

[image: Vancouver Urban Farming Forum Keynote Announcement]

*Keynote Address Synopsis: Farming in the city*
Curtis Stone (owner/operator of Green City Acres) will take you on a tour
of his urban farming operation in Kelowna, BC. Starting the business in
2010, Curtis will demonstrate how he commercially farms on less than a half
acre of land that he doesn’t own, in the city. Starting the farm on a
shoestring budget of $7000, he turned that investment into $22,000 his
first year, and near doubled the profits and scale of the business for four
years after. In this lecture, you’ll get a front row seat into the day to
day operations of his farm, also see how the social, ecological, and
economic benefits of it have had a net positive impact in the
neighbourhoods he farms

in.
--
*Zsuzsi Fodor*
*Project Coordinator* | Vancouver Urban Farming Society
research at urbanfarmers.ca
www.urbanfarmers.ca
Twitter | @VUFS <http://twitter.com/VUFS>
Facebook | Vancouver Urban Farming Society
<http://www.facebook.com/VancouverUrbanFarmingSociety>

**Please note that I work on this project part-time - Please be patient for
a response**