[BCFSN] Update on California drought situation and the beginnings of a template for moving forward towards food security in BC

Women's Food and Water Initiative wfwi at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 4 22:48:10 EDT 2014

Hello allies at BCFSN

Here is our reality in 2014, drought in California intensifying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/california-drought/

We need a working "template" that comes out of our collective compassion
for each other and for humanity in general.

Something localized, small scale, practical and in place.

I'd say the first step to take us to this template is to approach out
local governments
as a delegation to form a "healthy living through local food" committee.
Individual delegations can chose their own committee names but you get
the drift.
I would think carefully about these names as we are going to be living
with them for some time to come and
we need the name to be as inclusive and accessible as possible while
also explicit and self-explanatory.

I would recommend that in the delegation to put a focus on the WHO
report on the rise in anti-biotic resistant infections
rather than climate change and food security. The premise being that to
protect our families from these super bugs
we need super nutrition and the best way to get that is to grow,
harvest and consume nutritional food locally.

If you need to get up to speed on this global health issue watch this
episode of  Frontline on PBS:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/hunting-the-nightmare-bacteria/

The committees should be personed by local, concerned and activated
community members through a call out by the local government.
The local government should appoint one or two elected councilors to
chair (alternately perhaps) the meetings and report on progress over the
4 or 5 months regularly to council.

*So the delegations to ask for the committees need to take place some
time in the next 3 to 6 weeks.*
This is critical so that the local government has time to put out the
call for members of the community to sit on the committee.and to have
the committee.
*
The committees need to begin in mid September and by December, or at the
very latest end of January, submit 5 priority recommendations
and 5 complimentary (to the 5 priority)  recommendations to council for
their consideration. *

 From beginning of the committee meetings to the end date, the various
committees can consult with one another and with non cmte member through
BCFSN on what these recommendations might look like.
There will no doubt be local differences and specifics that may be
changed due to place but there will be enough agreement to
make the exchange relevant and pertinent throughout BC.

On a very practical note Stephen and I are putting in Huguls, using the
practice of  Hugulkultur, in our front yard and the one we have so far
is working very well. We need to think of drought as a close companion
and someone we can work with successfully.

Hope everyone is having a productive spring and that all our relations
are well and cared for.

Jen Fisher-Bradley