[BCFSN] Getting the best from ALR Regulation survey

Jim Wright jamesw8300 at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 19 05:03:53 EDT 2014

From: Erika Stewin (pr at rotatingplanet.com)

Subject: The Family Farm- film screening opportunity

Message: Greetings,

My name is Erika and I am writing to you on behalf of Rotating Planet
Productions with exciting news about our latest film, The Family Farm. In
line with the goals of 2014's International Year of the Family Farm
Project, this feature length documentary provides a glimpse into the daily
lives of Canadian farm families and exposes the highlights and challenges
they face as part of the agri-food industry. We are absolutely thrilled to
be sharing our work during a year devoted to emphasizing the key role
family farms play in maintaining the health and well-being of communities
and environments and are looking for venues across Canada to host Fall
screenings of the film and help spread the word. If you think this is
something that you and your organization would be interested in please let
me know. To learn more about the film please review a copy of the film's
synopsis which I have attached to this email. A link to the film can also
be provided upon request.

If you have any additional questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Our Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/thefamilyfarmfilm

Thank-you and have a wonderful day!

Erika Stewin
Rotating Planet Productions
Research and Marketing Assistant

In its journey across the majestic Canadian countryside, The Family Farm
explores the diverse agricultural pursuits of earnest farm families, and
serves as a window into the small-scale food production process that modern
day consumers have become estranged from. The film begins in Nova Scotia
with egg farmer, Aaron Hiltz, who was confronted by the provincial egg
board and asked to get rid of the majority of his flock. Hiltz’s story
highlights the issues many farmers face and the flaws associated with what
he considers an outdated system. The Morgan farm crew of Quebec draw
attention to another issue, land cost and inaccessibility, that many young,
budding farmers encounter and discuss their proposed solutions to these
problems. On the other side of the country, organic farming pioneer,
Raymond Loo discloses his dream of creating a chemical-free Prince Edward
Island, full of clean, organic food and demonstrates how his farm serves as
a stepping stone towards realizing this goal. The exploitative side farming
is also exposed through Manitoba farmer, Carlyle Jorgensen’s retellings of
his experience working with an oil company who dug a well on his prime
farmland despite his disapproval. A season spent shadowing these
individuals in addition to other farm families reveals the key role they
play in sustaining traditional farm knowledge, promoting environmental
stewardship and maintaining food security. As 2014 marks the International
Year of Family Farming, The Family Farm focuses on imbuing the importance
of understanding where our food comes from and emphasizes the crucial role
family farms play in ensuring the survival and well-being of local
communities and environments.

--

This mail is sent via the contact form on the Network's website.